Trusted Contributor

Covid sniffing dogs

[ Edited ]

There have been a few articles out regarding Covid sniffing dogs.  Finland is starting a pilot program in one their airports.  You can find info on this if you are interested.

Dogs have been used to sniff out drugs, bombs, and have even been used to aide in locating cancer cells.

Finland reported that one of their grayhounds was trained to recognize Covid in (I think it was) seven minutes; and relatively high accuracy rates were reported. 

A number of police departments already have canine units.

Nothing is perfect; but I am interersted in any tools which can be used against this horrible virus; and I think this has potential. 

https://www.sciencealert.com/dogs-deployed-at-helsinki-airport-can-detect-covid-19-with-near-perfect...

Do the math.
Trusted Contributor

I know at least 2 dogs who have contracted covid-19 and died as a result.  Sniffing out the virus?  No.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@MarieIG I heard about that on the news. 

I think I’ll stick to practicing social distancing, wearing a mask, and washing my hands. 

Trusted Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@MarieIG I heard about that on the news. 

I think I’ll stick to practicing social distancing, wearing a mask, and washing my hands. 

I should hope  that everyone should continue to practise protective procedures, I did not see this as a substitute for that. 

Do the math.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Covid sniffing dogs

[ Edited ]

@Deree wrote:

I know at least 2 dogs who have contracted covid-19 and died as a result.  Sniffing out the virus?  No.

Unfortunately, so have medical care providers. I know and know of people who have died from Covid, but I don't know anyone who has had their dog tested. 

I guess we will need to wait and see how the programs will turn out. They are ongoing. 

I would not discount the possiblity, but was not able to find much about dogs dying from Covid.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/SA_One_Health/sars-cov-2-animals-us

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/positive-pet.html

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

There have been a few articles out regarding Covid sniffing dogs.  Finland is starting a pilot program in one their airports.  You can find info on this if you are interested.

Dogs have been used to sniff out drugs, bombs, and have even been used to aide in locating cancer cells.

Finland reported that one of their grayhounds was trained to recognize Covid in (I think it was) seven minutes; and relatively high accuracy rates were reported. 

A number of police departments already have canine units.

Nothing is perfect; but I am interersted in any tools which can be used against this horrible virus; and I think this has potential. 

I find this very interesting. My daughter and I were talking about it yesterday as a matter of fact. 

Trusted Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@Deree wrote:

Unfortunately, so have medical care providers.

I guess we will need to wait and see how the programs will turn out. They are ongoing. 

Yes, but we humans can take the precautions we need to take.  Unfortunately, too many people do not -- thus, the problem.  I am not willing to sacrifice a precious animal's life for people's stupidity.  TMO.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Oh. My. Gosh. I WANT to go to the doggie clinic. Doggie diagnosticians.

Can you imagine the possibilities? Before you do your traditional blood work, you get to go pet Ginger and Hope and Cha Cha in their offices, and their reactions are entered on your chart (to be followed by traditional testing and diagnosis of course).

Finland. Please make this happen. Once we all can travel again, I will make a vacation out of my annual checkup at your clinic.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I think I'd rather take a test the regular way than being sniffed-out by a dog for seven minutes.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

There were alot of dogs milling tbrough airports drugs, food at customs last year, I smiled as a  Customs Beagle was so interested in a young child's luggage. The Handler kept asking if he was sure there wasn't any candy in there ?

The first time I few to Europe we had a German Shepard go through the line twice before boarding and literally put his nose on my side. I thought it could have been scary if I didn't like dogs. The dog was told" Halt" so trained in German and stopped to sniff every passenger. At least I felt safer?I heard that friendlier type dogs were going to be used in airports.

Why not do anything that may help save a Life? It is amazing  what the dogs can be trained to detect. There was a feature  two weeks ago on our local news that BCA had a dog trained to find phones and tablets to help catch Child Predators.