Honored Contributor

Re: Covid-19 survives in air for 3 hours

[ Edited ]

"We found that viable virus could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization"

What does this mean in practical terms? Hanging in the air? To me I read aerosols and I think hair spray or air freshener or something. Do they mean coughs or just the outside chance that somehow the virus wound up in a can of Elnet?

Eta: Do droplets really float around in the air for long periods? I've had someone cough on me before (bleah!) and the droplet of saliva hit me right away. When people cough, is there a cough cloud around them too--one that persists in the area? That is not a leading question. I genuinely would like to understand.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Correct, it is a new study.  I couldn't find the video at the WHO site but like another poster said, the NY Post has the video.

This is a fluid situation and things will change as more research develops.  Let's not attack just cause you don't like the post.

Esteemed Contributor

What would aerosol transmission really mean for spread? 

The notion of viral particles hanging in the air, ready to infect passersby, may seem scary, but to become an aerosol, droplets containing viral particles must first be transformed into a light mist, thin enough to be supported by the air. By definition, aerosols are less than 0.0002 inches (5 microns) in diameter, while typical respiratory droplets exceed this size. 

Based on what we know about other respiratory viruses, we don't think that SARS-CoV-2 gets aerosolized in everyday settings," Morris said. "Rather, aerosolization, if it happens at all for SARS-CoV-2, is likely to happen in health care settings," according to recent studies, Morris said.

Esteemed Contributor

WHO has said that it is primarily concerned with workers in the health care setting, as that is where aerosolization is most likely to occur, were it to occur.

Super Contributor

Don't post unless you can provide data, studies or recent news on this virus. We are not attacking because we "don't like the story"!

Moderators, you should mandate no fear spreading about the Covid-19 virus. Sharing is ok, but provide data!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

The doctor from WHO recommends additional precautions for healthcare workers but did not specify what precautions would be necessary.  Apparently situations like intubating a patient can be problematic.  So it sounds like it converts in that case, droplets to an aerosol, and that is what is surviving longer.

Honored Contributor

@camelot wrote:

I did and couldn't find it.

I did as well and couldn't find it at the WHO site.  I did see plenty of information regarding how long it lasts on different surfaces but nothing about it staying airborne.

Esteemed Contributor

@camelot wrote:

Don't post unless you can provide data, studies or recent news on this virus. We are not attacking because we "don't like the story"!

Moderators, you should mandate no fear spreading about the Covid-19 virus. Sharing is ok, but provide data!!!!

I think you are.  You should probably move on.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@camelot wrote:

I did and couldn't find it.

I did as well and couldn't find it at the WHO site.  I did see plenty of information regarding how long it lasts on different surfaces but nothing about it staying airborne.

I couldn't find it there either.  It's reported by the NY Post.

Honored Contributor

@camelot wrote:

From a previous post on this thread in case you missed it.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/who-recommends-airborne-precautions-after-coronavirus-found-to-survive...

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."