Valued Contributor
So, another poster posted that China is threatening to cut off our supply of meds to help treat the virus. As we know there is no specific med to treat Covid-19, there are a plethora of meds needed to treat the symptoms.

Now, I did look on Fox news and she is right. There is a big article on it. I'll be honest, I wonder if I need to start just avoiding this topic altogether bc I'd just gotten myself in a situation where mentally I wasn't doing great, but I wasn't doing as bad as I had been (anxiety)

Now, hearing this I'm rt back to square one. Do you think they would really do that to us?
~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Covid-19 meds from China

I read that Fox News article after it was posted here, too.  I found it very vague.  I doubt it will happen.  I think we were very foolish to let China have so much control over our supply of everything.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@BrandiDavis  I think it's a good idea to be informed, but when it gets to feel too much maybe step back and focus getting your info from local coverage...

I do feel we need to follow recommendations we are receiving from scientists and experts in that field. I limit my stats to the combined John Hopkins/WHO/CDC dashboard:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

and to the daily briefings we receive from our employer (research medical facility)......

There is another poster here, can't remember who, that frequently states they only worry about what they have under their control (or something like that). Do what you can to stay safe, listen to scientists and follow direction of local officials. 

I gotta say I admire your openness about the anxiety associated with this. You are not alone. Many may not admit it, but maybe if they talked about it that could help as well. You'll always have an ear here!Heart

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

China has a hold on us from many aspects, too bad we let this happen.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

Several years ago a bill was signed that allowed our drugs to be made in China.  Now, about 95% of all drugs are imported from China to the United States.  A bi-partisan bill has been introduced in the senate this week which would change that.  This is the second time this has been used as a threat by China.  The first time was during trade negotiations and now with this virus.  This isn't just about the medications used for treating the symptoms of this virus.  This is about ALL medication.  It is very unfortunate that we are dependent on another country.  I have 6 prescriptions that are all necessary. I have had breast cancer, have very low thyroid which goes along with Common Variable Immune deficiencey and was diagnosed with AFIB 3 years ago.  My medications simply give me a better quality of life.  However, I know many other people have life threatening illnesses that have to take medication to simply stay alive. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I read that Fox News article after it was posted here, too.  I found it very vague.  I doubt it will happen.  I think we were very foolish to let China have so much control over our supply of everything.

@NickNack  Read the book China Rx - it gives the whole story on this.

Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:
So, another poster posted that China is threatening to cut off our supply of meds to help treat the virus. As we know there is no specific med to treat Covid-19, there are a plethora of meds needed to treat the symptoms.

Now, I did look on Fox news and she is right. There is a big article on it. I'll be honest, I wonder if I need to start just avoiding this topic altogether bc I'd just gotten myself in a situation where mentally I wasn't doing great, but I wasn't doing as bad as I had been (anxiety)

Now, hearing this I'm rt back to square one. Do you think they would really do that to us?

@BrandiDavis 

I know it's scary. People take medication & they need it. 

I'm glad all I take is thyroid medication but I still need to take it daily.

I just got a refill a month ago. Called Wal-Mart to see if I could get a refill or if I had to wait since it's only been 30 days. They will give me one refill.

I think I have close to a year supply but doctor/pharmacy does not know that.

If I have to pay full price to get another year refill that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to try to keep a year supply on hand at all times. I read online that you need to do this that the medication would still be good.

I also have a bottle from Canada when I got my script filled there. If it gets down to it I will take it even though it's old. Glad I did not toss it when I cleaned out the cabinet.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack 

After this they better pull their head out & deal with this & anything else. Too many people depend on medication.

Honored Contributor

@Tuppermore wrote:

Several years ago a bill was signed that allowed our drugs to be made in China.  Now, about 95% of all drugs are imported from China to the United States.  A bi-partisan bill has been introduced in the senate this week which would change that.  This is the second time this has been used as a threat by China.  The first time was during trade negotiations and now with this virus.  This isn't just about the medications used for treating the symptoms of this virus.  This is about ALL medication.  It is very unfortunate that we are dependent on another country.  I have 6 prescriptions that are all necessary. I have had breast cancer, have very low thyroid which goes along with Common Variable Immune deficiencey and was diagnosed with AFIB 3 years ago.  My medications simply give me a better quality of life.  However, I know many other people have life threatening illnesses that have to take medication to simply stay alive. 

@Tuppermore   My pharmacy has filled prescriptions from countries I'm not comfortable with...they've always been able to find a replacement. 

Valued Contributor

@Nightowlz  I'm so glad you at least have enough of your medication!! That is great news!! Hang in there friend. Stay safe. 

~ Hope in TN ~