Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 @Not anecdotal......two of them are close friends of mine.   

Respected Contributor

I live in North Florida and I don't go out much but when I do, I am shocked.  There are many who don't wear masks and a lot who have to wear them(employees), wear them under their nose.   I saw that in Walmart.  I know people are so sick of this as am I but now is not the time to let down their guard.  My vets office requires mask for the people who go in but not the employees.  Even if you don't think the mask is effective why not just hope it is and wear one.  Nothing to lose only to gain.  With all the social media, face time etc.  you can be very close to people and even see them without physically going to their home now.  I think the holidays will be a super spreader.  I talked to a senior couple who are going to travel many hours  to be with relatives.   I feel they might have a vaccine against the virus but there will never be one to cure lack of common sense, thoughtlessness and selfishness.  

Esteemed Contributor

Very large unsanctioned nightclubs raided and shutdown by police last night in 2 NYC locations.  150-200 attendees each, with pictures showing extreme crowding and few masks amid drinking, dancing.....

I contend that these violations are what posters should be concerned with, rather than legally operating dining and retailing venues where proprietors adhere to all mandates.

How to convince these hundreds of party goers to stop is the urgent dilemma....

QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

Weather seems to be playing a big role in the spread. The northern hemisphere is entering cold and flu season with the fall and winter upon us and not surprisingly, Covid-19 is rebounding. Whether it's the lack of sunshine, lower vitamin D levels, less UV radiation from shorter days, or what, this virus is following the typical cold/flu pattern of being worse as the weather gets colder.

The mask mandates and lockdowns imposed in spring that supposedly led to a decline in the rate of Covid-19 transmission may very well have done nothing and simply taken advantage of the longer days and warmer weather that occurred in the later spring and summer and a natural decline in the virus's ability to thrive in those conditions. Mask mandates and lockdowns now may achieve nothing due to the weather. We'll have to see, but I'm not optimistic that there's a lot we can do to control this virus. Viruses tend to do virus-like things and this virus is pretty much doing what we'd expect it to do.

Things are likely to be improving in the southern hemisphere as they're now in their spring season and soon summer. I've got a pretty strong feeling this virus will continue to behave like a typical cold/flu virus and run rampant through the fall and winter then taper off again come spring. When it tapers off in the spring the "experts" will proclaim it a victory for the vaccines taking hold, but it will likely be more due to the natural life cycle of the virus. When it resurfaces in the fall they'll be upset more people didn't take the vaccine and blame that for the resurgence. The virus is just doing what viruses do. We see it every year with the cold and flu and Covid-19 is in the same family as those viruses. It's doing what viruses in that family do. None of this should be a huge surprise.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman @You are most likely correct but I hope and pray that you are not.I have had enough of all of the social distance and limited lifestyle,I miss my family and friends.

Respected Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Memebell wrote:

@suzyQ3 Not true.  I have known several ppl who always wear masks and take all the precautions.   Yet they got the virus.    It may make us feel good and make us think we are in control of it, but that's not possible til the vaccines get to us.

Chances are you know people who say they "always wear masks and take all the precautions," but they don't. I have a friend in another state who talks about what he's doing, and he's blithely visiting with people without masks, in indoor settings. He's a post-surgical patient and he still seems to think that if they're friends, somehow that makes it okay. 

I don't believe in the "Immaculate Infection." I think that people carve out exceptions to the rules or just forget about them and get exposed. We're all human. But anyone who thinks he or she is "in control" of this thing is deluded.

The vaccines are many months in coming and won't change things for much longer than that.

I agree.  I have friends who say they follow all the rules etc and then i see their face book posts.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Covid 19 in Europe

[ Edited ]

My concern, first is to make sure this post is apolitical. Just saw on a news network where a well known personality took the nose swab test. 1 nostril tests positive the other negative. Yesterday it was Elon Musk with a 2-2 result on 4 tests.

Unless a person is full blown symptomatic or has hypochondria, is there truly a way to know?  50-50 test results tell us what exactly in reference to who is and who is not?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

My concern, first is to make sure this post is apolitical. Just saw on a news network where a well known personality took the nose swab test. 1 nostril tests positive the other negative. Yesterday it was Elon Musk with a 2-2 result on 4 tests.

Unless a person is full blown symptomatic or has hypochondria, is there truly a way to know?  50-50 test results tell us what exactly in reference to who is and who is not?

hckynut 

@hckynut 

The tests that Elon Musk had were the very quick ones that are known to be very inaccurate with both false positives and false negatives. I’m not sure why anyone bothers with them at all.

I don’t think there is a way to know for sure if someone has no symptoms.  The more accurate tests take days to get the results.

Honored Contributor

If a test takes days or weeks to get results then not very accurate.  Even if quarantining until you get results there is still a chance that the person was not shedding cells at the time of the test but still infected.  Many other countries have faster more accurate tests and are strictly contact tracing which is not done here in most cases.  Until we do this masking by all is our best bet to contain it.