Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@pitdakota   I never said, nor meant to imply that COVID cases in nursing homes is spreading it to the masses.  I just used that place as an example.

They are doing everything possible and there are still outbreaks.  

Masks are not a miracle that will 100% protect you from getting a Covid.  It helps, but isn't even close to being fool proof.  Most masks do not fit properly and people touch them then touch their faces.  

What  is spreading COVID is people being with people..gatherings..with or without a mask.  Even those who are preaching to us not to gather and notfollowing their own advice.

This Thanksgiving and Christmas season is going to be a doozy.  Cases are going to multiply faster than ever.  

I know in my own family, certain members are having a huge a thanksgiving dinner with probably over 20 people easily.  I usually have TG at my house, but said no this year.

My SIL is taking over and having it at her house.  She called to invite me and we got into an argument.  She thinks I am over reacting.

Her attendees will be my brother ( her DH) their daughter, who is an RN, her husband and their four children, her oldest son who is a doctor ( DO) and his pregnant wife, their middle son who is in med. school earning his MD, and his pregnant wife, and their youngest son and his girlfriend.

My sister and my niece and her three children will be there also along with a young lady my brother and  his wife raised, her husband and her two children.

I am sure there will be a few other people there as well.

My SIL never wears a mask and makes fun of those who do.  She lives her life the same as always. Her Church was not holding services, so she joined a new church that has never cancelled services, not even when it was mandated.

She talks about underground conspiracies trying to stop people from worshiping and denying freedoms.

We don't see eye to eye and she is assertive with her beliefs and I don't want to hear it.

I hope they don't get sick, but I am sure this type of family gathering is going to be repeated all over America.

I can't imagine how my niece and nephews who are medical professionals are ignoring the guidelines and gathering.

People take one step forward and two steps backwards. We better get used to it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Carmie, boy do I hear you about people still gathering and doing things they really shouldn't be doing.  So sorry you ended up in an argument with your SIL.  But you are doing the right thing.

I spoke today with a former nursing student of mine that has been working as a nurse taking care of covid patients.  I am just heartbroken and people better start paying attention. She is exhausted and is starting to get really resentful toward people that are out there doing what they should not be doing and then coming into the hospital sick and sometimes dying.  It is so hard on the nurses in more ways than many totally understand.

Most hospitals in areas are running on lower staff than in the spring.  It is different now because not everyone was being hit with a run away train at that time and there were plenty of nurses that could go to the hard hit areas like NY, New Orleans, and Miami.

People haven't really thought about that.  Since so many hospitals had to close same day procedures and other services, there were nurses that were available to use the time they were furloughed to travel to areas to help them get through their push.

That ain't happening today because so many hospitals are under the gun with their own patients and needing nurses and doctors that they just don't have.  Multiple hospitals across this country have decreased their same say surgeries and other procedures from what they were running a couple of weeks ago because they just can't handle the influx of covid patients and have to leave room somewhere. 

It is hard to imagine medical professionals doing that, but back several months ago they ran a story of a husband/wife doctor team that had worked with covid patients.  They arranged a family vacation in North Carolina, rented a beach house, and invited family.  Ended up with something like 18 cases of covid with 2 deaths from that get together.  Needless to say, they were sorry but "thought" they could trust the family members that were coming that they had really been isolating and wouldn't have contracted the virus.  That plan didn't work out to well.

In the meantime, you are doing the right thing.  Hang in there.  It is going to be a challenging couple of months.  But every single person that adheres to the guidelines is doing their part and it does help whether you realize it or not.  You are part of the solution and not part of the problem, so hats off to you!  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Vaccines take time. I am amazed that they will have one this soon. The whole world has some very smart people working on this. This, after all, isn't an easy fix. The vaccine needs to work without harming people further. We need to be patient and try to be brave.  I know that isn't easy right now but we are running scared and that won't help the matter. It just causes hysteria.

Personally, I'm listening to the doctors and scientists as far as keeping myself and others safe. That's all we have now and even though information given to us will change with time, I feel we have to go with what they know at the moment. I believe we have a lot of intelligent people out there working their hearts out for us all and their own loved ones and all mankind. We must not lose hope.

Respected Contributor

We need to think about our doctors and nurses.  They are upset because we are not giving them the backup they need.  There was an article in the NYT today that some are leaving their professions.

QVC Customer Care
Trusted Contributor

I also wear a mask, gloves, uses sanitizers, wash my hands and sanitize everything, barely go out and then only to the grocery store and I got covid! Lasted almost 3 months and I am still battling aftermath issues.  Today I have come down with a sore throat and achy feeling, no fever and I am scared to death.   Masks may help but they obviously do not insure you from getting the virus. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Covid 19 in Europe

[ Edited ]

@Calcgirl wrote:

I also wear a mask, gloves, uses sanitizers, wash my hands and sanitize everything, barely go out and then only to the grocery store and I got covid! Lasted almost 3 months and I am still battling aftermath issues.  Today I have come down with a sore throat and achy feeling, no fever and I am scared to death.   Masks may help but they obviously do not insure you from getting the virus. 

If everyone masked, social distanced, stayed out of crowds and definitely not needlessly traveled it would save lives and the Covid count would go down.  The key word is EVERYONE!!!  There are way too many selfish people that obviously do not care for anyone but themselves and their social lives!

Honored Contributor

Re: Covid 19 in Europe

[ Edited ]

@Calcgirl wrote:

******  I'm sorry you are feeling so ill but I thank you for taking precautions. I realize wearing masks doesn't guarantee anything but it might have kept someone else from getting it. Imo, you should feel good about doing all you can to help yourself and others.  That is really all we can do at this point. I pray that soon you will start feeling better. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@busymom22 wrote:

This is why I get upset when people try to imply that this is only in America and only due to politics while the rest of the world is doing great.  Truth is this virus was an unknown and until there is a vaccine it will continue to spread.

@busymom22, that doesn't preclude politics.

And btw, if people listened to scientists and credible medical experts, we absolutely could at least limit the spread.

Oh please - I am so tired of "listen to the experts" Fauci told people in March that it was fine for healthy people to take a cruise and this was AFTER the cruise ship fiascos.  Seriously - as an "expert" he didn't realize cruise ships are incubators for disease spread????  

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@busymom22 wrote:

This is why I get upset when people try to imply that this is only in America and only due to politics while the rest of the world is doing great.  Truth is this virus was an unknown and until there is a vaccine it will continue to spread.

@busymom22, that doesn't preclude politics.

And btw, if people listened to scientists and credible medical experts, we absolutely could at least limit the spread.

Oh please - I am so tired of "listen to the experts" Fauci told people in March that it was fine for healthy people to take a cruise and this was AFTER the cruise ship fiascos.  Seriously - as an "expert" he didn't realize cruise ships are incubators for disease spread????  

Please note that this may have been misquoted since no soundbite available and was also back at the beginning of March when NO ONE knew much about this virus  and how it is spread!!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
FORBES Mar 9, 2020,08:02pm EDT

COVID-19 Travel Update: Fauci Says Cruising Is OK If You Are Healthy