Honored Contributor

It's been a world wide pandemic since January.  Granted, the world has handled much better than most parts of the US.  Why would you think the US is alone in all of this?  But we shouldn't fool ourselves, no European country and no other country in the world is suffering the way most of the US is.  

Honored Contributor

@busymom22 

i don't believe anyone ever said that.   That we are experiencing a global pandemic has been know, discussed, written about, publicized etc since last January.  Some countries weathered the storm and recovered and have minimal infections.  I believe only Antarctica and the Arctic have had no Covid 19 cases.

Honored Contributor

@Memebell wrote:

@suzyQ3 Not true.  I have known several ppl who always wear masks and take all the precautions.   Yet they got the virus.    It may make us feel good and make us think we are in control of it, but that's not possible til the vaccines get to us.

Most people who get the virus claim they wear a mask all the time, which isn't true but there's more to protection than masks.  It has to be the right type of mask, the mask must fit properly,  people have to also be vigilant about hand hygiene and social distancing.  It's a three prong approach to protect ourselves.  As for the vaccines, that's not a magic cure.  Covid 19 will be with us for 2-3 years even after they start innoculating people because it takes time before sufficient numbers of people get the vaccine and reduce the spread.  Eventually, Covid 19 infections will be low but it won't go away entirely because some people won't get the vaccine and because no vaccine is 100%.  

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

I live in southwest Florida.  Florida has no statewide mask mandate, has reduced testing, everything is open, no restrictions.  The Govenor believes in herd immunity.  If you die from Covid, so sad, too bad.

I call Florida "The Swedish Experiment".  And, we've all read about what happened in Sweden.

So, to all the people that 'just want to live their lives' like there is no pandemic, come on down to Florida!  The State wants your tourist dollars!  And if you get Covid, eh, no worries, it'll just go away like magic!  And, yes, I'm being sarcastic!

Exactly. So well said.

Trusted Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@River Song wrote:

I live in southwest Florida.  Florida has no statewide mask mandate, has reduced testing, everything is open, no restrictions.  The Govenor believes in herd immunity.  If you die from Covid, so sad, too bad.

I call Florida "The Swedish Experiment".  And, we've all read about what happened in Sweden.

So, to all the people that 'just want to live their lives' like there is no pandemic, come on down to Florida!  The State wants your tourist dollars!  And if you get Covid, eh, no worries, it'll just go away like magic!  And, yes, I'm being sarcastic!

Exactly. So well said.

It's a free-for-all down here in Florida.  There's a reason Florida is also known as "Flori-duh"!

Honored Contributor

Re: Covid 19 in Europe

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota   I never said, nor meant to imply that COVID cases in nursing homes is spreading it to the masses.  I just used that place as an example.

They are doing everything possible and there are still outbreaks.  

Masks are not a miracle that will 100% protect you from getting a Covid.  It helps, but isn't even close to being fool proof.  Most masks do not fit properly and people touch them then touch their faces.  

What  is spreading COVID is people being with people..gatherings..with or without a mask.  Even those who are preaching to us not to gather and notfollowing their own advice.

This Thanksgiving and Christmas season is going to be a doozy.  Cases are going to multiply faster than ever.  

I know in my own family, certain members are having a huge a thanksgiving dinner with probably over 20 people easily.  I usually have TG at my house, but said no this year.

My SIL is taking over and having it at her house.  She called to invite me and we got into an argument.  She thinks I am over reacting.

Her attendees will be my brother ( her DH) their daughter, who is an RN, her husband and their four children, her oldest son who is a doctor ( DO) and his pregnant wife, their middle son who is in med. school earning his MD, and his pregnant wife, and their youngest son and his girlfriend.

My sister and my niece and her three children will be there also along with a young lady my brother and  his wife raised, her husband and her two children.

I am sure there will be a few other people there as well.

My SIL never wears a mask and makes fun of those who do.  She lives her life the same as always. Her Church was not holding services, so she joined a new church that has never cancelled services, not even when it was mandated.

She talks about underground conspiracies trying to stop people from worshiping and denying freedoms.

We don't see eye to eye and she is assertive with her beliefs and I don't want to hear it.

I hope they don't get sick, but I am sure this type of family gathering is going to be repeated all over America.

I can't imagine how my niece and nephews who are medical professionals are ignoring the guidelines and gathering.

People take one step forward and two steps backwards. We better get used to it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@pitdakota   I never said, nor meant to imply that COVID cases in nursing homes is spreading it to the masses.  I just used that place as an example.

They are doing everything possible and there are still outbreaks.  

Masks are not a miracle that will 100% protect you from getting a Covid.  It helps, but isn't even close to being fool proof.  Most masks do not fit properly and people touch them then touch their faces.  

What  is spreading COVID is people being with people..gatherings..with or without a mask.  Even those who are preaching to us not to gather and notfollowing their own advice.

This Thanksgiving and Christmas season is going to be a doozy.  Cases are going to multiply faster than ever.  

I know in my own family, certain members are having a huge a thanksgiving dinner with probably over 20 people easily.  I usually have TG at my house, but said no this year.

My SIL is taking over and having it at her house.  She called to invite me and we got into an argument.  She thinks I am over reacting.

Her attendees will be my brother ( her DH) their daughter, who is an RN, her husband and their four children, her oldest son who is a doctor ( DO) and his pregnant wife, their middle son who is in med. school earning his MD, and his pregnant wife, and their youngest son and his girlfriend.

My sister and my niece and her three children will be there also along with a young lady my brother and  his wife raised, her husband and her two children.

I am sure there will be a few other people there as well.

My SIL never wears a mask and makes fun of those who do.  She lives her life the same as always. Her Church was not holding services, so she joined a new church that has never cancelled services, not even when it was mandated.

She talks about underground conspiracies trying to stop people from worshiping and denying freedoms.

We don't see eye to eye and she is assertive with her beliefs and I don't want to hear it.

I hope they don't get sick, but I am sure this type of family gathering is going to be repeated all over America.

I can't imagine how my niece and nephews who are medical professionals are ignoring the guidelines and gathering.

People take one step forward and two steps backwards. We better get used to it.

Reminds me of my sister telling me she was not going to "live in fear", and they are going ahead with my nephews wedding in Dec. I'm gonna feel bad if I don't go, it will be outside, but I do not feel comfortable going.

I am not living in fear, I am trying to be careful, take precautions and use my brain. And none of us should be judged for doing so.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Memebell wrote:

@suzyQ3 Not true.  I have known several ppl who always wear masks and take all the precautions.   Yet they got the virus.    It may make us feel good and make us think we are in control of it, but that's not possible til the vaccines get to us.

Chances are you know people who say they "always wear masks and take all the precautions," but they don't. I have a friend in another state who talks about what he's doing, and he's blithely visiting with people without masks, in indoor settings. He's a post-surgical patient and he still seems to think that if they're friends, somehow that makes it okay. 

I don't believe in the "Immaculate Infection." I think that people carve out exceptions to the rules or just forget about them and get exposed. We're all human. But anyone who thinks he or she is "in control" of this thing is deluded.

The vaccines are many months in coming and won't change things for much longer than that.

Yep. Look at their Facebook and Instagram. You can easily see how people who say they're being safe get infected.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Trusted Contributor

@Memebell wrote:

EVERYONE needs to take the precautions.  These people caught the virus from others who DID NOT.