Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,360
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

@lovesrecess wrote:
I have a friend who is a professor in China. She came home back in March right before the big lockdown....was finally allowed to return to China two weeks ago. She is required to stay in a hotel there for 21 day quarantine before she can go back to her home there. A robot delivers her meals to her three times a day. It also takes her temp. She sent me a video. Amazing!

At least in prison you get time out of your cell each day and have human contact.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎09-18-2010

@goldensrbest wrote:

I think some just want to talk about what this virus  is  doing, spreading.


Me too, we have never lived thru a pandemic before.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,888
Registered: ‎06-07-2010

What upsets me is how people wear their masks.  I see some people out and about with their masks barely covering their mouths and not at all covering their noses, or wearing them below their chins.  Might as well not wear them.  Don't know what can be done about it!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,704
Registered: ‎09-05-2014

I walk about aside when there is no one close to me without pulling the mask up.  If the sidewalk or intersections are busy, that's another story. 

 

People eat outside in groups of 2, 4, 6 with masks off.  There is more prolonged contact dining out at the same table than passing someone quickly on the street.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,742
Registered: ‎10-25-2010

@noodleann wrote:

@TabithaAnn wrote:

@suzyQ3 Not true.  I have known several ppl who always wear masks and take all the precautions.   Yet they got the virus.    It may make us feel good and make us think we are in control of it, but that's not possible til the vaccines get to us.


Chances are you know people who say they "always wear masks and take all the precautions," but they don't. I have a friend in another state who talks about what he's doing, and he's blithely visiting with people without masks, in indoor settings. He's a post-surgical patient and he still seems to think that if they're friends, somehow that makes it okay. 

 

I don't believe in the "Immaculate Infection." I think that people carve out exceptions to the rules or just forget about them and get exposed. We're all human. But anyone who thinks he or she is "in control" of this thing is deluded.


The vaccines are many months in coming and won't change things for much longer than that.


Locally, COVID is spreading like wildfire in nursing homes.  Everyone there must wear a mask...even the residents if they leave their room.  Right now they are not able to.  They are being quarantined in their rooms.

 

My dear friend is in a nursing home.  Visitors have not been able to get in since March.  Patients are not being taken out to visit doctors unless it is life threatening. If they do so, they must isolate for 14 days upon their return. 

I am her POA and get updates every week. I know that only two staff members tested positive and more residents than workers tested positive this week.  How are residents getting this if all staff are masked all of the time and weekly testing is being done on everyone...residents and staff included?

 

All of this mask wearing and isolation is not working too well.  I am sure it's the best they can do, but it's not even close to preventing serious outbreaks.

 

Mask wearing is giving us a false sense of security. If we encounter anyone with COVID, we will probably be exposed.  COVID penetrates masks.

 

The safest route IMO, is to avoid people as best we can.  Of course, we can't do this 100% of the time, but we must be mindful.  

 

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,798
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@busymom22 wrote:

This is why I get upset when people try to imply that this is only in America and only due to politics while the rest of the world is doing great.  Truth is this virus was an unknown and until there is a vaccine it will continue to spread.


@busymom22, that doesn't preclude politics.

 

And btw, if people listened to scientists and credible medical experts, we absolutely could at least limit the spread.


I personally feel we reopened too soon.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,102
Registered: ‎12-22-2013

I live in Reno, NV, our Governor announced yesterday that he has covid.  Some schools are closed till the end of Nov.  Every day there is a school or schools added to the list.  Mostly high schools.  Different dates to return.  At the very beginning the health department asked that the schools not open in the first place.  Seems difficult to get tested.  Not as easy as it should be.

 

Most people cannot afford to stay home.  Government needs to step in, if necessary pay people to stay home.  Maybe this would work.  People seem to be really good here about wearing masks correctly.  At least in walmart anyway, basically Walmart is the only place I go.  

 

Doctors did warn us about all of this.  

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 21,496
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@TabithaAnn wrote:

@suzyQ3 Not true.  I have known several ppl who always wear masks and take all the precautions.   Yet they got the virus.    It may make us feel good and make us think we are in control of it, but that's not possible til the vaccines get to us.


@TabithaAnn, this is what I said: " if people listened to scientists and credible medical experts, we absolutely could at least limit the spread."

 

Nowhere have I ever said that such precautions are 100 percent effective.

 

I would also caution against relying on anecdotal reports by people.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,943
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

@Carmie wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@TabithaAnn wrote:

@suzyQ3 Not true.  I have known several ppl who always wear masks and take all the precautions.   Yet they got the virus.    It may make us feel good and make us think we are in control of it, but that's not possible til the vaccines get to us.


Chances are you know people who say they "always wear masks and take all the precautions," but they don't. I have a friend in another state who talks about what he's doing, and he's blithely visiting with people without masks, in indoor settings. He's a post-surgical patient and he still seems to think that if they're friends, somehow that makes it okay. 

 

I don't believe in the "Immaculate Infection." I think that people carve out exceptions to the rules or just forget about them and get exposed. We're all human. But anyone who thinks he or she is "in control" of this thing is deluded.


The vaccines are many months in coming and won't change things for much longer than that.


Locally, COVID is spreading like wildfire in nursing homes.  Everyone there must wear a mask...even the residents if they leave their room.  Right now they are not able to.  They are being quarantined in their rooms.

 

My dear friend is in a nursing home.  Visitors have not been able to get in since March.  Patients are not being taken out to visit doctors unless it is life threatening. If they do so, they must isolate for 14 days upon their return. 

I am her POA and get updates every week. I know that only two staff members tested positive and more residents than workers tested positive this week.  How are residents getting this if all staff are masked all of the time and weekly testing is being done on everyone...residents and staff included?

 

All of this mask wearing and isolation is not working too well.  I am sure it's the best they can do, but it's not even close to preventing serious outbreaks.

 

Mask wearing is giving us a false sense of security. If we encounter anyone with COVID, we will probably be exposed.  COVID penetrates masks.

 

The safest route IMO, is to avoid people as best we can.  Of course, we can't do this 100% of the time, but we must be mindful.  

 

 


____________________________________________________---

 

@Carmie, while outbreaks in nursing homes has been a problem since the very beginning with this virus, it is in no way responsible for the majority of transmission cases we have been seeing for months now.

 

Nursing homes are notorious for being challenged with maintaining outbreaks of many infectious diseases.  Even before covid-19, nursing homes across the country struggled with outbreaks of norovirus, shilgelosis, c diff, etc.   There are many factors involved there.  Usually there is very little square footage in the patient rooms with 2 people sharing a room in many cases, many still rely in congregate settings  for residents to eat, etc.  Although many places are having residents eat in their room, dietary staff are not well versed in infection control and it is usually that staff along with nursing assistants that have frequent contact with residents to serve the meals, collect the trays, etc.  Those are challenging factors for any nursing home with an outbreak of norovirus so it is a sure bet they are having challenges with this coronavirus.  

 

In many states, there are only LPN's and nursing assistants that work in these areas.  And while they are wonderful at what they do, many are simply not trained & educated at the infection control level comparable to Registered Nurses .  That is a challenge for them as well.

 

Most nursing homes do not have the funds to upgrade their HVAC systems like hospitals have, etc.  Many doctors' and dentists' offices have spent money upgrading their HVAC systems.  But it is very expensive to do so.

 

At any rate, there is just no way to compare the outbreak in nursing homes to what is going on out there today and what has been happening for the past several months.  Let alone, just base an off the wall assessment that it means masks don't work.  Especially when we have all kinds of evidence that masks do in fact work.

 

One need look no further than a hospital to see how well using universal precautions along with proper personal protective equipment works.  Hospitals for months now have managed to provide care for multiple covid-19 patients along with other patients that are hospitalized for many other situations other than covid-19.  At least to date over the past 7 months there has not been an outbreak of covid-19 being transmitted to other floors or areas different than the covid units.  So yes, masks work.  Along with other guidelines to decrease transmission.  

 

Additionally, your statement that covid penetrates masks is not supported out in research or contact tracing.  We now have multiple instances of infected stylists that worked while contagious with no customers contracting the virus because both parties were wearing masks.  We also now have multiple observational studies out there that document wearing masks signficiantly reduces transmission of this virus  So stating that they don't work is not accurate at all.  Nothing is a 100% guarantee, but it is irresponsible to state they don't work when we have so much information and knowledge that they do work.  

 

 

 

 


* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Valued Contributor
Posts: 830
Registered: ‎03-15-2010

I live in southwest Florida.  Florida has no statewide mask mandate, has reduced testing, everything is open, no restrictions.  The Govenor believes in herd immunity.  If you die from Covid, so sad, too bad.

 

I call Florida "The Swedish Experiment".  And, we've all read about what happened in Sweden.

 

So, to all the people that 'just want to live their lives' like there is no pandemic, come on down to Florida!  The State wants your tourist dollars!  And if you get Covid, eh, no worries, it'll just go away like magic!  And, yes, I'm being sarcastic!