Trusted Contributor

Received an e-mail from my cousin in Switzerland.  He said that Switzerland has had a big outbreak lately in the number of cases, also.  Wearing a mask is mandatory (ages 12 and up).  Restaurants are open, but you must wear a mask upon entering and can remove it once seated.  A maximum of 4 at a table. Suggested to keep 1.5 meters (5 feet) distance.  He has a contract in the USA but it has been postponed so many times that he thinks it will be cancelled.

So, we are not alone in this.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor
I have a friend who is a professor in China. She came home back in March right before the big lockdown....was finally allowed to return to China two weeks ago. She is required to stay in a hotel there for 21 day quarantine before she can go back to her home there. A robot delivers her meals to her three times a day. It also takes her temp. She sent me a video. Amazing!
Super Contributor

This is why I get upset when people try to imply that this is only in America and only due to politics while the rest of the world is doing great.  Truth is this virus was an unknown and until there is a vaccine it will continue to spread.

Honored Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

This is why I get upset when people try to imply that this is only in America and only due to politics while the rest of the world is doing great.  Truth is this virus was an unknown and until there is a vaccine it will continue to spread.

@busymom22, that doesn't preclude politics.

And btw, if people listened to scientists and credible medical experts, we absolutely could at least limit the spread.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==

@busymom22, we know a lot about how this virus is transmitted and what it takes to slows transmission.  It is just getting people to do it.  Of course the virus will be out there, but it doesn't need to be transmitting at such alarming rates.

We now have hospitals reducing their same day procedures because they don't have medical staff or enough beds because of covid-19 patients.  

I just saw a story about a younger man that had an emergency related to his brain.  He was in St. Louis and needed emergency surgery.  That hospital, nor any other hospital in the state could take him.  They tried contacting 3 nearby states.  No one could take him because of their situation with staff and available beds.

Finally, a hospital in Iowa said they would take him.  They flew him there for treatment.  His surgeon was interviewed and discussed what a close call this was and that the patient was within 30 minutes of not making it at all.

That is not acceptable.  So that is why it is important to wear a mask, maintain social distance, avoid crowds and places of business that are not following common sense guidelilnes.

We know what to do and we know what works.  People just need to do it and stop arguing about it.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@busymom22 wrote:

@busymom22, that doesn't preclude politics.

And btw, if people listened to scientists and credible medical experts, we absolutely could at least limit the spread.

@suzyQ3, I talked to a friend of mine yesterday that is a chief nursing officer for a nursing staffing agency.  Her branch of this national agency actually coordinated nurses from our area that went to New York City to help back in the spring.

She was telling me her agency (it is a national agency) has been trying to find nurses to go to South Dakota to help them.  The request started coming from the Sioux City area in late Oct.  They are having trouble with nurses saying they won't go to South Dakota.  The reason....South Dakota has over a 50% positivity rate with officials refusing to do anything to curb the spread.  So nurses are saying they won't risk their lives or welfare to go there if the state doesn't care.  Several of them did go to Texas.  They are more than willing to go to other areas.  But according to her, not in that state.  Common thinking is if they don't care, it is not worth me risking my welfare.  It has actually come down to that.

I did read that those hospitals did have to reduce non-emergency admissions & cut back on some outpatient procedures,  which is what they were attempting to avoid by putting out a call to a few nurse staffing agencies.  Don't know if other agencies had the same problem, but this group sure has run up on that situation. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 Not true.  I have known several ppl who always wear masks and take all the precautions.   Yet they got the virus.    It may make us feel good and make us think we are in control of it, but that's not possible til the vaccines get to us.

Honored Contributor

@Memebell wrote:

@suzyQ3 Not true.  I have known several ppl who always wear masks and take all the precautions.   Yet they got the virus.    It may make us feel good and make us think we are in control of it, but that's not possible til the vaccines get to us.

@Memebell  I assume these several people live by themselves. It is not possible to say a definite 'not true' for anything about the virus.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Honored Contributor

@Memebell wrote:

One can do everything right but if everyone does not and refuse to wear masks and not social distance continuing to see all family and friends and do what they want then that exposes others to it.    The countries where masks and strick social distancing are enforced have done way better and have lower rates of infection.  Look at Viet Nam and Australia.