Esteemed Contributor

Re: Covid-19 In my county now

I live and work In Manhattan so I am seeing the changes underway.  The restrictions on groups are economically painful at the individual level, but I believe will slow the spread and transmission.  Of course, nothing would be 100% but it is an important step.

There are more masks than a few weeks ago, but not a great many.  Everyone is still going about business except that there are many fewer people out and about.  Most noticeable are those that can telecommute (white collar office type jobs) are.  Only a handful of employees are in our main offices.

I have been in a few retailers and the clerks are wearing gloves, but everyone is calm and respectful.

Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis   You are doing a great job.  Remaining positive and upbeat is the best we can do and making a difference for your daughter will be critical for her well-being.  Great that you can spend some quality time with each other and it sounds as if you have a close relationship.  Family support is so vital.  You stay safe too!

Honored Contributor

Hi @BrandiDavis -- I'm so sorry for the added stress and anxiety you are experiencing, especially as the virus goes through its inevitable spread and "surge" here, like it did in its place of origin, China.

I agree with @phoenixbrd ,  you are doing a great job.  I would not despair that little has been done.  I've pointed in several threads to the steps that have been taken in the U.S. since January, that no doubt slowed the spread of the virus, and steps are continuing.  I personally find that much of the media has its own agenda, even to the extent of hyping false information-- just one of many examples, that Dr. Fauci was "muzzled".  He shot that down immediately. 

I would take some of the more flamboyant media assertions with a grain of salt.  CDC.gov is the recommended source for up-to-date information.

We can't minimize the coronavirus at all and must continue to do all we can.  But it might be helpful to hear from people who've recovered from the virus.  Jerri Jorgensen was one of those cruise passengers in Asia who tested positive.  They quarantined her for 14 days in a Japanese hospital.

I just saw an interview with her, and she has tested free of the virus now.  She feels great.  Even with the virus, she had very low symptoms-- mostly a slight temperature in the beginning.  She is 65 years old.  Of course, not everyone will have her positive experience.  But I find it helpful just to get a balanced picture when there is an admittedly scary virus out there with which we have no past experience.

The very best to you and your daughter in beautiful Knoxville. 

Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

So, I knew it was only a matter of time, but we just got our first confirmed case of Covid-19 this afternoon. The person had been overseas. :-( :-( WHY, WHY wasn't travel restricted WEEKS ago? 

I just don't understand this. IF they really wanted to get a hold on this, why didn't they take out ALL the stops necessary? Just things I think about, while I try to remain positive about this subject, but now that it's actually in my county I just don't know anymore. Sorry, not trying to be a downer at all. Just being realistic.

They closed my daughters school tomorrow. Next week was spring break anyways, so I guess we will see if it will be closed beyond that later on. I am really trying to remain positive/upbeat for my daughters (she is 17) sake, but also I've explained to her that there is a big chance she might be confined to the house for a while, b/c I don't want her going places that she doesn't HAVE to go. She understands. 

Please everyone stay safe. Btw I am in Knoxville TN, Knox county to be exact. 

Quite a different view when it hits home.  You were very nasty to me earlier.  Now it's in your area and I hope you see things differently.  I understand why you're rattled. 

Tip:  You can sign up for alerts from the CDC and the WHO specifically on COVID-19 and most newspapers, hopefully one you trust, have made themselves free now for corona coverage.  

I'm sincerely sorry to hear ths and hope you and your family are well now and stay that way.  And do stock up now if you still can, nonperishable food and all.  Maybe it won't get out of hand there (one of my BFFs is there and that's just one more reason I hope not) but no one can know.  Good luck, Brandi Davis. 

Esteemed Contributor

My kids in PA went to school today. All still open in my area.

Trusted Contributor

It's been in my area for a couple of weeks and is growing.  My work takes me into schools and sure enough, a school I was in on Monday just reported a case yesterday.  I waver between being positive and quite nervous.  I'm older and recently dealt with a health issue the past two years, so I'm concerned.  I've been through a lot in my life, so I've learned to take it one day at a time, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm rattled.  The only moment I have is now, so I'll try with all my effort to stay optimistic.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much to all that replied. I really appreciate your kind words in a scary time like this. It definitely helps me, so again thank you. I will continue to do my part to stop the spread of this as best I can.

@LoriLoriYour choice of words is a little extreme. I don't think I've EVER been "nasty" to anyone on this site, quite the opposite actually. I made a comment because of something YOU said to another poster that imo was not nice. I was not in any way rude, so please use a better choice of words in the future. I'm sorry you don't agree with my opinion, which is fine, but don't become defensive and start attacking me personally. That's really not helpful especially in a time like this, when so many are on edge emotionally anyways, myself included. I don't like to argue, never have. That being said if I see something that isn't nice, again imo, I will say something, and yes you can respond in a tactful way which is what I did. This is after all a message board. There are going to be differing opinions, but that doesn't mean it ever needs to be taken personally.

With regards to everything that is going on with COVID-19, Ty for your well wishes. I also hope you and your loved ones stay safe too. Have a good day.

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BrandiDavis wrote:
Thank you very much to all that replied. I really appreciate your kind words in a scary time like this. It definitely helps me, so again thank you. I will continue to do my part to stop the spread of this as best I can.

@LoriLoriYour choice of words is a little extreme. I don't think I've EVER been "nasty" to anyone on this site, quite the opposite actually. I made a comment because of something YOU said to another poster that imo was not nice. I was not in any way rude, so please use a better choice of words in the future. I'm sorry you don't agree with my opinion, which is fine, but don't become defensive and start attacking me personally. That's really not helpful especially in a time like this, when so many are on edge emotionally anyways, myself included. I don't like to argue, never have. That being said if I see something that isn't nice, again imo, I will say something, and yes you can respond in a tactful way which I was I did. This is after all a message board. There are going to be differing opinions, but that doesn't mean it ever needs to be taken personally.

With regards to everything that is going on with COVID-19, Ty for your well wishes. I also hope you and your loved ones stay safe too. Have a good day.

@BrandiDavis   I was trying to take the high road.  Won't happen again. I'm wishing you well and trying to be helpful from someone who's there already and you take the low road.  Bye!

Super Contributor

They just announced that there are 2 people in our city of Manhattan Beach, CA last night on the news...  They had been traveling....  Just need to be aware and take precautions..  Not much else they can do...  When they start closing Disneyland and all of the other parks, it is time to stay close to home.   I know they are talking about doing school on line...   And of course - no TP any where near me...  It is amazing how this item has gone so crazy? along with anti-bacterial products....  Lots of hand washing and just be aware!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

With New York City's Mayor declaring a State of Emergency, these are some of the powers he now has to contain the outbreak.  None on this list has been implemented yet.  Some seem reasonable and logical (to me.)  I mention this because there are many, many ways we (collectively) can control the spread.  And most are temporary inconveniences which are ultimately for the long term good.

• Enacting a city-wide curfew
  • Controlling which vehicles can enter and leave parts of city
  • Closing down public transportation
  • Ordering hospitals to postpone elective surgeries
  • Putting rations on certain supplies
  • Suspending sales of alcohol, firearms and other items
  • Prohibiting or restricting number of people on streets and public places
  • Regulating or closing public spaces
  • Enacting emergency shelters
  • Limiting maximum building occupancies