Esteemed Contributor

Re: Court Appearance of Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman

Before I retired, I worked at a large, prestigious university. Part of my job was reading freshman applications. To this day I regret having to reject some students because there was simply no more room. I felt awful. Therefore, when I saw some of those girls treat their admission as a pain in the butt, I was furious. Some of these parents went wrong somewhere.

It seems to me that in paying off officials, coaches, etc, the parents created the little monsters. They were willing to risk everything just so that junior could attend an elite school. There are so many colleges and universities, not necessarily top tier, that provide an excellent education to students who are willing to do the work. These kids would have been far better off going to a school that was not so well known but would have kept their parents out of jail, which is what many of them deserve. What role models they were!

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I know cheating is horrible but

I'm so afraid there will be suicides over this scandal.

We were taught resilience and tenacity as kids, and our “quick fix’ “cut to the chase” “instant winner” society really doesn’t do that any more.

Very difficult to imagine what will ultimately happen with this, or from it.

Society may wind up needing to apply some brakes in many areas, and not everybody will agree with how things shake out. 

We we all have to look for the good, and the fair and the honest as we decide what we all think we need and think we want. That was another skill babies of Depression Era parents benefited from. Maybe time to give that approach a second look?

Esteemed Contributor

They deserve everything they get.  What role models they are for there children. Very disturbing.

Honored Contributor

@cmoose wrote:

I too believe they get what's coming to them. 

I wish something would be done about all these sports figures that repeatedly beat their women, do drugs and whatever other mayhem they cause and NOTHING is done. They don't loose their jobs and seem to have to pay in any way it's beyond ridiculous!!

I agree, but teams only care about what the player can do for them. If they are a marginal player they are more likely to let them go, but if they are good anything goes . $$$$$$💰💰

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

I've noticed several people have wondered why these two women are front and center.  Movie stars always are.  It is just part of their job and who better to send a message to the rest of the industry that  money, used unlawfully, can cause you a heap of grief and mark  you for life. I still believe in innocent until proven guilty but it sure doesn't look good for them.  It will be interesting to see what they have to say for themselves.  

Honored Contributor

I was just reading that Lori’s husband often complains about people not carrying their own weight. Lack of self awareness much ??

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This is the cynic in me coming out, but I seriously doubt either one of them will do time. And  another thing , why are they the only two featured, there were others involved.

I doubt they’ll do any time too...the same money  that got them in this mess will surely get them out if it.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Trusted Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

I looked up body language and crossed arms. It could mean many things. 

defensiveness, fear/anxiety, insecurities, stress relief, power pose, psychological/physical barrier, etc.

I've seen a lot of that stance lately and it doesn't involve this particular event.  Just watch the news.

Yeah ... that's one of his trademark stances ... 

Who would that be??

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

@froggy 

Oh dear.  I didn't realize the kids were in on it too.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown