Honored Contributor

Re: Couple says stranger hacked into bedroom Ring security camera

@CritterKeeper wrote:

I just read about a little girl that was terrorized by a hacker on one of those. She was playing and these hackers started caller he nasty names and saying they were santa claus and things. That is down right scary. I have a camera in my living room to watch my dogs throughout the day (rediculous, I know). I'm starting to re-think that, now. 

I would re think it too.  I refuse to even consider having alexa.  I think putting all this stuff in our homes is opening up a can of worms.  All I have is my lap top and cell.  I saw something on TV about the smart TV I guess I will not get one of those either.  My lap top is very old not sure it has a camera.  Anyway I usually close it at night.  

Honored Contributor

Being able to check on your child while you are at work, is a good thing. the only think creepy about it ,is the creeps who use it to spy on strangers, and terrorize them...If I had to leave a sick child , and work ,I would find it  very comforting to be able to check on them through the night

Honored Contributor

Many of those security doorbells/cameras are very easily hackable and these companies have not made it difficult for hackers to break into them. Or put patches into their software to prevent hackers from breaking in and taking over control of these devices. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Saw this in today’s New Yorker: Daily Humor Cartoon

”So how did you get into the spy game?”

335D4CAC-7628-4F75-A170-D12FA5F56D47.jpeg

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

omg if i heard someones voice over that thing i would ****** myself.. no lie... thats creepy.. thank god im not a high tech person..

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Ring doorbell and I love it.  When you set it up, you answer questions like how far is your house from the street, etc.  It allows me to deal with the dog before I answer the door and let's me know who I am opening the door to.   I am happy with the purchase.

I don't have anything like that inside and I haven't opted for an Alexa type device either.  Still on the fence about those.  LM