Honored Contributor

Re: Couple finds hidden camera in Florida Airbnb

@Nancy DrewThat's Mr. Rogers. Better correct that!

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants

I agree with you.  If I can't afford a hotel, I won't travel.  I feel the same way about those taxi companies popping up, like Uber and Lyft.  Just because something is possible with our new technology, doesn't mean it's a good idea. There are reasons for laws and regulations in these industries.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All those "laws" and "regulations" hotels have didn't protect Erin Andrews much did they?

Respected Contributor

We've stayed at a lot of hotels.  We've rented vacation condos and homes.

I've never even considered that there would be a hidden camera anywhere.

Trusted Contributor

I think the feelings re AirBNB's is a generational thing.

My son is 29 and travels with friends all the time. They never even look at hotels. They automatically look for an AirBNB.

If 5 or 6 (or even 10 sometimes) go somewhere, it is much more fun to all be in the same house. They have it down to a science, scoping out houses, getting to their location and going grocery shopping, then settling in. They have a blast, but they are all fine young men and women who are not wild.

When AirBnb first became "a thing" I was always worried about what he was getting into. I had more "worry questions" than ever crossed his mind. He is an adult, so my concerns were listened to, but not taken very seriously.

In my opinion, there is no accomodation that is 100% safe, not even 5 star hotels. It is just a crazy world now, and I think it is up to each individual to stay on their toes and watch for security breaches.

I honestly do not believe camera's are illegal if it is posted that survellience camera's are in place. This BnB owner messed up by not telling them. He is one of the creepers that are out there, and I am sure he is not the only one.

My son has gone to some great places, at a fraction of the cost, and has not had one problem yet. Although, to his credit, he is very diligent when searching places.

AirBnb does a good job of screening the house owners, and also those who are looking to stay at places. The more you use the service, the deals get better and better. The more honest reviews you leave, the more house owners appreciate your feedback so they can fix up whatever it is they overlooked (ie," this place would be fantastic if you added an outdoor grill" etc etc). It really is a handholding business between renters and house owners.

There are creepy owners, and there are also creepy renters. A lot of the AirBnB house owners do not even live near their 2nd or 3rd homes they rent. They depend on AirBnB to screen customers, they themselves then have email exchanges with the interested customer (so there is a second screening), and then they have cleaning companies come in after people leave. It is a great second income for people who have summer or winter homes that sit vacant most of the year.

It is generational. Even though I have seen what wonderful, fun trips my son has taken, I still prefer to have a lobby and a front desk to check into Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Each to his own, but I can't wrap my head around holing up in my house forever out of fear of...anything or everything.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain

I don't know who said they hole up in the house out of fear.

I think some people express a desire to not stay in certain places, and exercise caution in an increasingly dangerous and invasive world.

That doesn't at all equate to people being narrow minded or bigoted, and a stretch like that is both demeaning and confrontational. It is also narrow minded and prejudice to think that of others, simply based on their desire not not stay in certain places.