Honored Contributor

Re: Couple finds hidden camera in Florida Airbnb

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Honestly? Unless it's in my own home, I don't do ANYTHING ANYWHERE that I would not want my children, family and friends to see me doing. Cameras in hotels, ANY rental unit, a friends house, etc is somthing I presume will be in place because...sercurity in addtion to the fact of people being ******s in todays world.

I don’t understand what you’ve written. Yes, in today’s Tech world you have to be careful, but in certain places, including a bedroom and a bath room in a rental everyone should have and expect privacy.

So, you don’t take a bath/shower or use the toilet or undress anywhere unless you are in your home, or maybe you wouldn’t mind your children, friends or family to see you using the facilities?

@Carmie  No, I simply presume that someone might be filming you so, be prepared to be violated. Yes, we SHOULD not have to worry and yet, this has been going on for a long time. The laws have NOT kept up with technology so many behaviors that we look upon as disgusting and wrong legally....are not against the law.

And no, I don't use public dressing rooms where I strip down to underwear to try things on or public toilets. I know of too many cases where women (and children) have been filmed in both situations. I NEVER assume that a persons' home is camera free; you're a fool to think it is so again, don't do something you wouldn't want family and friends to see. I don't think that's bizarre, weird or odd in the world we live in today.

You can't be surprised if you're prepared.

Okay, got it.

When you travel, you never  use the toilet, bathe, or change clothes.

*rolls eyes*

This is for the smartbutts who just can't appear to get a grasp on what I'm saying:

You can shop and not need to use a bathroom. You can buy clothes and not need to strip down to your underwear. If you do, realize you may be filmed. Personally, I don't care but why give some sicko a thrill? So I don't.

When traveling, you really don't have a choice. So you do what you need to do. Again, if you're filmed, there it is. Hopefully, you won't be but again, it's NO SURPRISE because there are so many sicko's out there. 

Geez, louise, people. I feel for ya  if you need to freaking pick apart every single thing a person writes OR needs to have everything spelled out for you. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Each to his own, but I can't wrap my head around holing up in my house forever out of fear of...anything or everything.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain

And I'll add that an invasion of privacy can happen anywhere. A janitor at the school where I taught was discovered to be going into the restroom, sitting in a stall, and taking photos of the person next to him. I was one of his victims. It was indeed very creepy, but it never occurred to me to put my life on hold because of it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Each to his own, but I can't wrap my head around holing up in my house forever out of fear of...anything or everything.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain

Me neither.  And when I do go away, I don't want to stay with family or friends.  I want my own space.    

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

And I'll add that an invasion of privacy can happen anywhere. A janitor at the school where I taught was discovered to be going into the restroom, sitting in a stall, and taking photos of the person next to him. I was one of his victims. It was indeed very creepy, but it never occurred to me to put my life on hold because of it.

And how many times can any of us end up in the background of a selfie someone is taking? 

Not long ago that ex-playboy playmate took a picture of herself but included a naked, overweight woman in the background and posted the photo on social media with a smart aleck comment.  It all came back to bite her but how many people would think they are going to end up in that situation just minding their own business?  

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I agree with you both.  It's like people are blaming hotels for being dirty or the possibility of spy cameras existing for never going anywhere or doing anything.  Silly and sad.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not afraid to stay in a hotel, preferably, one with room service.

I would feel much, much, much safer there than at some AirB&B place.

Honored Contributor

My daughter has planned the itinerary for their next trip (she, my son-in-law, and the two grandchildren) utilizing AirBnB in Italy. She did so for several reasons:

One, they've used them with excellent luck here.

Two, almost all hotels in Italy limit you to two people, so they would have to pay for two rooms.

Three, they will be staying in absolutely beautiful homes, one even with a pool. They won't feel constricted as they would in a hotel. And the prices are amazing. They'll still dine out for dinner, I'm sure but won't need to rely on hotel breakfasts.

When we all traveled together in 2012 in Europe, we stayed in a hotel in England but rented an apartment in Paris. The latter was so much more fun for us.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We run a small B&B and thought about signing up with AirB&B when it first started.

That lasted for about 2 minutes.

We have a lovely little cottage and most everyone who has visited has been great.  Guests have complete privacy at all times -- just as I would want it.

AirB&B seems to attract lots of problems.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

ITA, in fact I'm going out of town very soon. I have no desire to live my life tied to home. Not using a public restroom? Not ever trying on clothing while shopping? Um no. I'm not surprised it happened but it's not stopping me from going about my life and enjoying it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Creepy.

Wish I were surprised.  Smiley Frustrated

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras