Honored Contributor

Re: Counting my blessings today...

@Preds wrote:

I try to count my blessings every day.  So many have paid the price for what we have.  Big or small, we are so much better off than so many.  I pray for that precious childs' family and know in my heart that he, his brother and mother are safe. Maybe, for the first time ever.  His father will be someday, too.  Blessings to him until the day comes that he is with his family.

Same here, and ITA.  

Since I'm a born "HSP" (Highly Sensitive Person) - and  an empathetic Pisces, ack! - I can't 'unsee' any suffering.

Things stay with me for a very long time, even decades.

It's fun.  ;-)

Which is why I barely glanced at the small boy photo, and try to do the same when I catch a glimpse of other tragic things.

And although I'm naturally a super-curious person, I try not to look at anything that has a sad headline.

Esteemed Contributor

Lord, protect your children and their children. Speak to the hearts of those who have the power to help those who love you. Amen.
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy

I too am hyper sensitive, especially with suffering.  I cannot even watch those SPCA commercials.  I record shows, when I hear that music I close my eyes and fast forward.  I even have many images that come like PTSD, from past horrors I have seen. So I made a pledge to myself. I will keep my eyes off that stuff.  I guess I am pathertic, but can't help it.

What is this photo of a boy they are talking about.  If someone tells me I am okay, just don't want to see it, if it is bad.

Contributor

The photo is a tiny child with his little shorts and darling little shoes lying dead, drowned at the waters edge.You cannot see his face so he looks like every little child you have ever known- it is heartbreaking.
Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@feline groovy

I too am hyper sensitive, especially with suffering.  I cannot even watch those SPCA commercials.  I record shows, when I hear that music I close my eyes and fast forward.  I even have many images that come like PTSD, from past horrors I have seen. So I made a pledge to myself. I will keep my eyes off that stuff.  I guess I am pathertic, but can't help it.

What is this photo of a boy they are talking about.  If someone tells me I am okay, just don't want to see it, if it is bad.

I will admit I am hyper sensitive when it comes to any form of suffering/cruelty issues.

No, being this way is not a weakness or "pathetic."  In fact, it's a gift if you can force yourself to face what's horrible and then try to do something constructive.  Could be a phone call - a letter - a contribution - joining an organization - doing volunteer work.

Give me a hyper-sensitive person any day of the week.

Respected Contributor

These aren't just Syrian refugees.  They are also from  Afghanistan,  Iraq and other areas fleeing ISIS.  They are trying to make their way to Germany and France. For some time I have been reading about people camping out in Calais,  France, hoping to get on a truck and ride through the Chunnel to England. By getting on a truck, I mean hanging on underneath to the axles.   Germany has agreed to take 800,000 refugees.  It is a country the size of Montana.   That would be the equivalent of the US taken 3 million people.   I think since we have had such involvement in the Middle East, we should definitely be helping both monetarily and by taking some of the refugees.  Praying is important,  but actions are too.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Although I do not watch the animal and African children charity commercials because I find them exploitative, I did look at this little child on CNN several times, obviously one of many thousands who have died since this hideous Mideast holocaust began.  Even the news men and women have visually wept at this sight. 

It's a small world, but not that small.  I think every country should take in its share of these refugees, empty these countries of everyone but the enemy, and then bomb them to smithereens.  I have never been "warlike" or a "hawk," but it's only realistic to see that the only way to get rid of this horrible evil is to kill them all.  We've done it before when it was absolutely necessary, and to my mind, we have to do it again.  And I don't believe all of it should be put on us either.  All civilized countries should take part because this isn't going to be limited to just the Mideast for very long.  That kind of evil knows no bounds.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986