Super Contributor

Could you, would you turn a relative/friend in if they told you they were planning to commit a crime

Would you wait until after they committed the crime to call the police or could you do it before? 

I was shocked yesterday when I read on here (not sure where the post is) that someone was in this position but she admitted she would call the cops only after the crime was carried through.

I think the shooter in Orlando's wife should be arrested immediately.

Honored Contributor

Re: Could you, would you turn a relative/friend in if they told you they were planning to commit a c

It would depend on the severity of the crime.

If I overheard that someone was planning to shop lift at the mall, not much can be done until they do it, except notify the management of the store.

If someone is planning a terror attack, kidnapping, bank robbery, murder, then of course you tell what you know and let LE do with it what they will. 

And that includes telling on my spouse, child or parent. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Could you, would you turn a relative/friend in if they told you they were planning to commit a c

Yes I would.  Any indication of them planning a crime, it would be no problem & the right thing to do.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

Yes I would.  Any indication of them planning a crime, it would be no problem & the right thing to do.

If my life, were not in danger.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely! Right away! 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

Prior to doing the right thing, I'd be darn sure I'd be safe. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

Prior to doing the right thing, I'd be darn sure I'd be safe. 

@Suziepeach

That makes perfect sense. 

Honored Contributor

Assuming, we're talking about something in which lives are at stake, it would be an easy call for me.  If I even suspected that a relative was planning something violent, I'd report it to the police.  As for the shooter's wife, we don't really know what she knew or if/how she assisted.  It appears she knew there was a plan and it appears that she was with bim when he did some recon and bought the guns.  So, she knew a lot and she didn't report him because she was in on it.  But she might not have known that he was going to carry out the plan on that particular night. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

It would depend on the severity of the crime.

If I overheard that someone was planning to shop lift at the mall, not much can be done until they do it, except notify the management of the store.

If someone is planning a terror attack, kidnapping, bank robbery, murder, then of course you tell what you know and let LE do with it what they will. 

And that includes telling on my spouse, child or parent. 

This is a response to the bolded (by me) sentence.  There was a tragedy that happened in our little town.  The police were notified that Roger was going to kill Mike that weekend. Roger had threatened this to the person that went to the police. The police said nothing could be done since nothing had been done yet to show he was really going to do it.  Yep, you guessed it, Roger killed Mike that weekend.  There was much more to the story, but reporting that someone is "going" to do something does little good in some cases.

Honored Contributor