Honored Contributor

Could someone please post link for question When to get new pet after loss?

I looked for it yesterday and couldn't find it, and I need to read it right now.

Weeble got up yesterday morning as usual and was his old self until around noon, when he had an episode that the vet diagnosed a seizure or a stroke. She told us that at his age (17) it would be unfair to him to attempt to diagnose a neurological condition but that his neck was full of masses, new since his last check 3 months ago, and she thought multiple body systems might be failing/

At that point he was unable to walk- it seemed as though he had a certain amount of strength, but he couldn't coordinate his motions.

DH and I were both in tears when she asked what we thought was the right thing to do, and I just couldn't think of anything, and not able to decide then, so she said we could take him home and see what he did at home and make him comfortable and see what happened in 24 hours.

He had something to eat last night, and was still "talking" and purring last night and today, but no change in his ability to get out of his resting place and get to his litter pan or water dish.

We knew what we had to do. His appointment is for 3 this afternoon.

All of the cats we've loved have chosen us, so unless an infant foundling was abandoned by its mother and turned up in our yard, (how we got Polly), we'll probably wait until spring to foster a new infant and then adopt. My problem is that i'm so attuned to his comings and goings that I know it will be several days before I stop looking for him and expecting to see him and then remembering he's not there.

So I just want to read what other people think about how soon...

Thank so you all- I'm thinking about all of your fuzzy friends and hoping that they're well and happy.