Honored Contributor

Re: Could have saved if I had gone to gas station Friday!!

Regular here went from $2.39 to $2.69.  I don't think that's "gouging".

Gouging would be what I heard on the news this morning, that one gas station in Houston (or area) charging $20 a gallon.

I'm not sweating a 30 cent increase, when that isn't even unusual with a holiday weekend.

Honored Contributor

Where I filled up Thursday in Atlanta, regular was $2.69, midgrade was $3.09 and premium was $3.69. 

I expect price increases. There was a hurricane and the refineries and some of the pipelines were closed. I don't think these are gouging type prices. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

And then there are stores charging Beaumont citizens $100 for a case of bottled water.

THAT's gouging.  Not to mention heartless.

Esteemed Contributor

I think that this sudden rise in prices is simply gouging.  YEs, some refineries are shut down and are not producing. however there are substantial supplies of gasoline already in storage facilities across the country.  these facilities store huge supplies of gas which are then loaded to,the gas delivery trucks which go to the service stations.  So why are the prices rising for gasoline that has already been produced and is in storage?

Honored Contributor

Our gas prices range from $2.09 to $2.69. The higher priced gas is premium or gas without ethanol. DH filled up both vehicles & all 4 gas cans.

Respected Contributor

I think it's more supply and demand, not price gouging.  Gouging is illegal after a hurricane (although people will still try), and you can file a complaint with the State's Attorney General's office. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

The issue I have with it is that they immediately raised the prices. It is not like they ran out and now have to pay more for gas or their delivery prices increased that day. The gas in the pumps is still there.

They use these disasters as an excuse to make money. The news reports about the gas issues and prices going up. This gives them the excuse to go up even if there are no issues for them.  Bottom line, I feel like these places use this as a quick way to up their profits!

Trusted Contributor

In the oil and gas industry prices aren't always determined by supply and demand.  Speculation affects the price as well.  

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I told all my pals to "gas up" and keep a full tank.   They laughed at me.   They don't think it's so funny now...................

And that is what is causing the shortages and the panic at the pump.  

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Stop complaining about gas prices,think all they have to complain about.

Majority of us are capable of being able to do both.

It is not a case of  one or the other.