Esteemed Contributor

Re: Could have saved if I had gone to gas station Friday!!

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@software wrote:

Gas is not stored.    Those tank farms only hold gas briefly until the time it's moved to it's final destination which is usually wholesale gas terminals.  Tank farms are placed at junctions of major and minor pipelines or at locations where it can be loaded on a barge, or a wholesale terminal for truck loading, for example.   It's just a holding area, like a parking lot.   The product is moving all the time. At the tank farm, the different volumes of product are either sent on it's way on the main pipeline or peeled off to go to feeder lines based on whoever owns the product.

We use so much gas & diesel daily in the US, what is the point of storage?   Inventory costs money, you have to move product out to make money.

And whatever product was in "storage" at the time of the hurricane is way gone by now.

The price of gas, just like the price of crude, depends on the market.   It's whatever the "market will bear".   The product is traded all during the day, just like stocks on the stock market.   Prices go up & down all day until it settles on 1 daily price at the end of the day.    

Then why are only some of the gas stations charging $20 per gallon during a disaster and not all of them? It's gouging, period. But does the AG have the time to prosecute them all? $100 for a gallon of water? 

$100 a gallon is definitely gouging and they do prosecute those people if it gets reported. A lot of people here are saying the prices rising by 30 or 40 cents is gouging.

@software explains this well. Prices are constantly moving and we use over 300 million gallons a day in the US. Buying is going on constantly.

I did see that the gas futures are down so that means the market believes things will be settling down. Hopefully refineries get back up soon and the pipelne that runs north.

As I undertand it, they are back up and running in Corpus Christi if you can believe the news reports. It was also announced last week that they are releasing some of our reserves to take up the slack.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@software wrote:

Gas is not stored.    Those tank farms only hold gas briefly until the time it's moved to it's final destination which is usually wholesale gas terminals.  Tank farms are placed at junctions of major and minor pipelines or at locations where it can be loaded on a barge, or a wholesale terminal for truck loading, for example.   It's just a holding area, like a parking lot.   The product is moving all the time. At the tank farm, the different volumes of product are either sent on it's way on the main pipeline or peeled off to go to feeder lines based on whoever owns the product.

We use so much gas & diesel daily in the US, what is the point of storage?   Inventory costs money, you have to move product out to make money.

And whatever product was in "storage" at the time of the hurricane is way gone by now.

The price of gas, just like the price of crude, depends on the market.   It's whatever the "market will bear".   The product is traded all during the day, just like stocks on the stock market.   Prices go up & down all day until it settles on 1 daily price at the end of the day.    

Then why are only some of the gas stations charging $20 per gallon during a disaster and not all of them? It's gouging, period. But does the AG have the time to prosecute them all? $100 for a gallon of water? 

Blame the retailer, not the refinery for price spikes at the pump.   The refinery bases their wholesale price on the market, supply & demand and speculation.   And if their state or county declared a state of emergency, the prices are capped.   

If someone reports the retailer and an investigation proves gouging, the retailer will be fined.   If they ignore the fine, they will have all the licenses to operate pulled.  There's no prosecution.   There's evidence, then a hefty fine.

I don't believe I WAS blaming the refinery. 

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@RainCityWoman

Nope, don't know the mpg that a Hum V burns, nor do I care. If someone wants a particular type of motor vehicle to get from point A to point B, if it's within their budget, it doesn't effect my life. 

If that were the case, there are many things that are not practical, nor affordable for my fixed income life. No shortage of gas around our area, at least that I know about. I used to drive Muscle Cars, several of them over the years.

Why? Because cars were a big part of my life, and I enjoyed driving them. I did not buy them to suit those that prefer their motor vehicles for just the practicality of getting from point A to B. I bought them for me with my money and the enjoyment I got going from getting from A to B.

hckynut(john)

The Hum Vee was never meant to be an urban vehicle. It was a desert war vehicle which came out of Desert Storm.  And I believe I have as much right as you do to have an opinion on it. Sorry to disappoint you, but I stand by what I said. Why? Because I can.

Whatever their origin, whatever their intent, the civilian 'Hummer" versions are ludicrous, especially for routine transportation and fortunately, I'm seeing fewer and fewer of them. I believe they stopped making them. Some of them lacked routine safety equipment, the gas mileage was laughable and they were often a challenge to park. They represented a potential danger to smaller vehciles and some reports indicated that those driving them were cited for more traffic violations than the average driver of other vehicles... They served little useful purpose other than driver vanity. Freedom of choice is one thing, making stupid choices is altogether something different...

AGREED!

Honored Contributor

We don't mind the price increases; it does tap into our budget but we don't drive around aimlessly, either.  With only 1 car for over a decade we've learned how to manage our time and errands.

What is concerning me is the lack of gas; either due to idiot panic hoarding or economic reasons.

I'm not close to our market and even so I cannot walk long distances anymore; DH doesn't do so well, either.  So for us we have to plan and prepare just for everyday living, never mind if gas becomes scarce.

I feel for those with limited income; and I feel for those who have no reliable public transportation if the worse comes to worse.

People can buy any darn vehicle they want; but don't expect any sympathy from me when a family with a small car has to wait while the compensating big vehicle owner fills up using 2 or 3 times the gas.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

The t.v. reports said, the gas prices would be going up. They had to shut down refineries.