Honored Contributor

Re: Could You live Without any credit cards

I'm not sure why I'm still shocked at the constant amount of misinformation shared on QVC forums. Someone actually posting an example from 50 years ago, really? Do none of you people know the difference between a credit card and a debit card? Clearly not, since you can buy airline tickets, rent a car and purchase things online with a debit card. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

You can travel with a credit card, but hotels and car rental agencies will put a hold over and above what their actual charge is.  There might be a problem if you need access to those funds.

Respected Contributor

No. I pay off my balance monthly and need one for travel.

Super Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

@kitcat51wrote:

I could do cash but won't, you need a cc to rent a car & a hotel room & they help build a good credit score that effects car insurance, mortgage rates & more. Paying the entire balance off every month isn't good for your score either, I have 3 cc's  & keep small balaces on 2 for several months a year then make the monthly payments early before paying them off, the 3rd I use for most purchases since it has great cash back & it's paid off every month. I've worked hard to build a my credit score over 800 since I've lost my pension & will have to sell my home, you need a high score to be considered for a place with reasonable rent where I live.

@kitcat51Our scores are always over 800 and we always pay off everything monthly with no interest. Where did you get the idea that keeping balances makes your score higher? I have never heard that.... Why pay interest??

I don't think this is true that carrying balances on credit cards would IMPROVE a credit score. I havd NEVER paid interest on credir card purchase. Balances are paid in full every month.

Honored Contributor

I think people are confusing ATM Cards with Debit Cards.  ATM cards only allow you to withdraw money from an ATM machine.  Debit Cards work like credit cards, but have more limitations on the amount you can charge at one time, on one day and is based on your account balance.

I was just reading the Debit Card rules for Hertz.  You need a law degree.  LOL  I think you are better off using a credit card.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

dh and i have been cash only for several years, paid off all credit cards, and never used them since.

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1wrote:

My Dh and I are considering going to a cash only basis. 

In todays world, can one live without credit cards..??

@sydsgma1  Well....I see cash being no longer accepted in many stores....and that is becoming more common..... and, how would you shop online without a credit card?  Why not use a credit card and pay the card off in full each month?  Plus you get paid for using the card.... with points....I MAKE MONEY using my cards! 

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1wrote:

My Dh and I are considering going to a cash only basis. 

In todays world, can one live without credit cards..??

@sydsgma1   We use debit cards....cut up our credit cards many years ago and refuse to apply for any. I keep a nice balance in our checking accts. since household bills get drafted from there. 

I don’t miss getting a credit card bill (or 2, or 3) each month. It’s too tempting to purchase things that are not necessities. 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxoxwrote:

You can not rent a car with out one

@I am still oxox  I’ve rented a car w/ a debit card, but heard you can’t pay for a hotel room w/ cash. That’s just weird.

Respected Contributor

You can pay your hotel bill in cash when you're checking out.  

They'll require a credit card when you make the reservation and while you're there.