Respected Contributor

Re: Could You live Without any credit cards

Without our Discover card, we would miss out on A LOT of cash rewards.  We put everything we possibly can on this card (so rewards mount up quickly) and pay the bill every month.  It also saves me frequent trips to the ATM.

We could (probably) live without a credit card, but I do not want to.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't mind using cash only for small purchases made in stores, entertainment (movies, concerts etc.),eating out, but it's impossible to not ever have to use a credit card be it a revolving card or debit.  I do a lot of mail order shopping and most of the retailers  require a credit card to be used for payment.  I can't even use Netflix (a very important component of my home life) without a credit card.  A real eye opener of how cash is becoming obsolete is a local fast food eatery recently implemented a system which no longer permits cash.  This place sells $10 hamburgers and sandwiches, so the average order is proabbly less than $15, but you have to pay with a card.  The Chicago public transit system has been predominantly no cash for more than 30 years.  

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51wrote:

@Trinity11@When my husband passed away I didn't have much credit in my name so went to financial advisor for help with my pension loss & building a credit history...it's been a long road but the advice with the cc's & other score builders worked. I probably could stop now & it wouldn't affect my score but I'll keep following that advice until I sell my home & find a rental. Thanks for asking & have a good evening

I am very sorry for your loss @kitcat51

Carrying debt on a credit card will not increase your credit score. Paying interest on a debt is just a way to make money for the bank. 

Honored Contributor

My DH and I pay for everything we can with cash.  No, we do not carry a large wad of cash around with us.  We carry less than $50, usually $25.

We only purchase something if we really need to.  We don’t buy things we don’t need just because we like it.

Yes, we use CC’s.  We don’t have a choice.  We travel and they are needed.  We mostly use Pay Pal for internet purchases and the money is taken from our checking account.

i don’t think it is possible to not ever use a CC in today’s world.  I also think we spend less money when using cash. It makes us stop and think before we spend.

Our savings account is much healthier since we have been using mostly cash.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just don't see how at this point.  We travel a lot, and you need a credit card for that.

I use my Marriott Visa Rewards card for almost everything so I can get the points - even my kids' tuition gets paid with that card.  It really adds up.  Smiley Happy

I usually don't have a wad of cash on me to pay for groceries and gas and other items.  

Esteemed Contributor

I see no reason to do without credit cards, but people make the mistake of not paying off the balance at the end of the billing cycle.  A credit card is not just a convenience for travel, but you never know when an em  ergency will occur and cash is not accepted.  Better to be safe with a credit card than sorry without one.  Just pay the bill.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

No. Hard to travel without a credit card.

Honored Contributor

yes you can, no it's not hard. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Peckywrote:

Absolutely not!  You need cc to rent a car, to book hotels.  I have two and when I use them i pay them off.

no you don't, you can use a debit card. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval