Honored Contributor

Re: Could You live Without any credit cards

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51wrote:

I could do cash but won't, you need a cc to rent a car & a hotel room & they help build a good credit score that effects car insurance, mortgage rates & more. Paying the entire balance off every month isn't good for your score either, I have 3 cc's  & keep small balaces on 2 for several months a year then make the monthly payments early before paying them off, the 3rd I use for most purchases since it has great cash back & it's paid off every month. I've worked hard to build a my credit score over 800 since I've lost my pension & will have to sell my home, you need a high score to be considered for a place with reasonable rent where I live.

@kitcat51Our scores are always over 800 and we always pay off everything monthly with no interest. Where did you get the idea that keeping balances makes your score higher? I have never heard that.... Why pay interest??

Esteemed Contributor

There is studies out there that if you use actual cash you will spend less then using a CC or debit card. You seem to think about what your purchasing more if you use cash. I think it’s different for everyone. As long as you have a written budget every month telling your money where to go and  and stick to it you won’t spend more then using cash.

Honored Contributor

We have one credit card and it is set up in our checking account to be paid in full on the due date. Use debit card for everything else.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t have a CC. I have a chase visa liquid card which I keep money on. I usually put some money on it every month for online shopping. Since I am disabled most my shopping is done online. There is a $4.95 fee every month for the card. But I think that’s pretty cheap compared to most prepaid cards and I like the convenience of it. And because I only put money on it when I make purchases no one is going to get a ton of money if it is hacked.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OKPrincesswrote:

We have one credit card and it is set up in our checking account to be paid in full on the due date. Use debit card for everything else.

The only difference is the date  the money actually leaves your account.  I do this also.

Why would I give up the convenience?

Honored Contributor

I guess I could, but it would come with a lifestyle change.  I took a 2000 mile round trip only with cash.  It was a PITA at gas stations.  I had to put a $100 deposit on the hotel room.  Last year I took nine flights to visit family.  I guess I could buy my ticket at the airport with cash, I live close to our regional airport.  I didn't have to rent a car.  Not being able to shop on line would kill me.  I guess I could pay at some places with a check.

Honored Contributor

I could probably live without any credit cards but I don't want to.  I get great cash rebates from my Costco Visa, "points" from Amazon and Nordstrom cards.  Pay all cards in full every month.  I did get rid of my debit card a few years ago and went back to cash or checks.  I find I spend less that way. 

Honored Contributor

@ Montanawrote:

No, because I buy so many things online.  I pay the bill in full each month, so not paying any interest.

@ Montana

I agree.  That's the way to go.  I haven't paid any credit card interest in more than 10 years. 

Esteemed Contributor

My first thought was, "I suppose they would take cash for the hay to feed your horse to pull the buggy." 

I really did not want to be snarky.

There is a big difference in having and using the convenience of credit or debit cards and having Credit Card debt.  That's a nono!

Honored Contributor

It would be difficult to visit my mother in Florida...how does one buy airline tickets without a credit card?

It makes live much easier when shopping online, at the supermarket, ordering tickets for a show, renting a car, booking a hotel, etc.  Why would I want to make life more difficult and go without one?