Honored Contributor

Re: Could You live Without any credit cards

@sydsgma1  I mostly use Paypal now, and have one credit card left, having more makes it too easy to charge away.

Honored Contributor

@febe1wrote:

@Phantom41wrote:

I love it when I get in back of someone writing a check...they usually wait to take the checkbook out of their purse when told the amount, try to find a pen, ask who to make the check out too and then fill out it.  I always want to say, "you didn't know you were going to Target (or wherever)?"  And it's always when you're on your way home from work and just want to get it done!  Be prepared people, be prepared!  Just my rant on check writing!! Sorry kind of off topic.

Writing a check seems almost archaic.

Kinda like going to Target & paying in Beaver Pelts.

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42wrote:

@NYC Susanwrote:

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

DH says cash is never declined!

Actually sometimes it is.

And some places accept cash, but are not really prepared for it.  I recently went to a medical facility to make a payment in cash (something I rarely do), and they needed the exact amount because they had no other cash on hand.   All I had were $20 bills, so my choice was to overpay or pay with a credit card.

Yes. There are some establishments that are moving towards no longer accepting cash, because of the security risk to their employees.

Correct.   I've seen a few take-out-only restaurants here that will not accept any cash, with signs stating that.  And I'm fine with that.  Same reason I'd never, ever carry a lot of cash at any time, the risk of loss/danger is too great.

@WenGirl42

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

Coupla things: No other cash on hand ! Go get it and a statement in writing that you would NOT take my patment! Or you will accept as payment in full a smaller amount.

I believe you're replying to me, but I'm not sure what you're saying:  Kick up a fuss because a facility is not prepared for cash payments?

So rather than simply pulling out a credit card and paying that way, you think it's preferable to make a big deal about it, demand they put something in writing, tell them they should expect a lower payment than what they're owed, etc?  

Why go through all that when simply paying with a credit card ends the whole thing?  I would rather put my time and energy into something else.  Businesses are not obligated to keep cash on hand.  I suppose the overage could have been applied to my account as a credit, and that would have been fair to all.  But there are in fact businesses that don't accept cash.  You'd better prepare yourself because that's going to be much more common as time goes by.  State laws vary, but there is no federal requirement and many state laws are likely to change.  There are valid reasons why businesses don't want to deal with cash.

My post was simply in response to your contention that cash is accepted everywhere.  No, it's not.  And personally I like to keep my life as uncomplicated as possible.  Paying with a credit card is easy, safe, secure, and fast.  I always have both cash and credit cards with me.  That way I can pay for anything anywhere I go.  Easily, and without drama.

Esteemed Contributor

@febe1wrote:

I purchased a new car for cash but put $3000. on my credit card for $45. in cash rewards. My state only permits $3000. on a car credit card. I would have loved to have put $20,000. all on credit card. 

Thee are wonderful "advantages" to having a credit card, undiscovered by many. 

If you can't pay for what you buy monthly, they are not for you. I really couldn't tell you the last time I paid interest on anything. Even high end furniture companies will give you three months free no interest on thousands of dollars of furniture.

If you have any kind of dispute, you will have the help of the legal minds for nothing. There are too many advantages to even enumerate. I would never, ever do w/o a credit card. 

I agree.

Back in the day, it was different.  Now it's much more of a necessity, or - at the very least - a convenience that has many, many advantages.  It keeps life much more simple, and takes away the worry of how to pay in an emergency situation.  And yes, they take care of disputing a charge if there's some kind of issue.  That's super-helpful.

I haven't paid interest on a credit card in years.  I pay in full every month, and was recently rewarded with a low-interest, higher limit card.  If you're responsible with money, it's the best way to go, IMO.  (And for those who are afraid they would treat it like Monopoly money and overspend, it would be a good idea to get a credit card for emergencies and unforeseen expenses.)

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmomwrote:

@febe1wrote:

@Phantom41wrote:

I love it when I get in back of someone writing a check...they usually wait to take the checkbook out of their purse when told the amount, try to find a pen, ask who to make the check out too and then fill out it.  I always want to say, "you didn't know you were going to Target (or wherever)?"  And it's always when you're on your way home from work and just want to get it done!  Be prepared people, be prepared!  Just my rant on check writing!! Sorry kind of off topic.

Writing a check seems almost archaic.

Kinda like going to Target & paying in Beaver Pelts.

Woman LOLWoman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirlwrote:

@sydsgma1  I mostly use Paypal now, and have one credit card left, having more makes it too easy to charge away.

I had a bad experience with PayPal, and I know a few other people who did too,  That might be unusual, I don't know.  But peace of mind is everything to me, and I would never trust it again.

JMO.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susanwrote:

@mousiegirlwrote:

I had a bad experience with PayPal, and I know a few other people who did too,  That might be unusual, I don't know.  But peace of mind is everything to me, and I would never trust it again.

JMO.

@NYC Susan  That is understandable, but I have used it for many, many years, so far, so good.