Honored Contributor

Re: Could You live Without any credit cards

I could since I only use my A. Ex. because you cannot carry a balance with them.  I deplore credit card debt so I refuse to have it.  A. Ex. is quicker than writing a check and I prefer not to carry more than $100.00 on me.  So If I had to go back to check writing everywhere than the line behind me would just have to be patient.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Regular Contributor

I could live without it but it would be inconvenient for me. My bank has a $500 daily limit on my debit card and sometimes, on the weekends, i would go over that and with the bank being closed i cant call to get my limit raised. Also, my credit card gives cash back rewards which is nice, i just put it towards the balance. I pay off my credit card every week, its just easier for me.

Honored Contributor

I have one CC for emergencies and it's great to only have the 1.

There was a time when I had dozens of cards, it's just ridiculous for me, the so-called perks weren't  enough to be worth the exposure.

I don't care about my credit score.     I don't plan on buying anything so it is what it is.   

I'm not getting on that merry-go-round.    If I were to buy a  house, the mortgage company looks at more than your credit score.    There are plenty of people who don't have a credit score, they buy houses.   

Out of curiosity recently I inquired about renting a car.    My car was old, high mileage and was thinking about what might happen if it broke down and I needed a rental.    I told the guy at Enterprise that I didn't have a CC and I would pay cash anyway, he asked for a $200 deposit, which I thought was reasonable.    I never did rent the car, I traded my old one.

I like using cash, I've never had anyone refuse cash.    My local stores love it.  I recently posted on another thread that I used a local merchant.    I asked what they prefer, cash or credit and they preferred cash because it costs them money every time a card is swiped.    They don't do it to hide sales/cash.   She had already written up the sale. 

Esteemed Contributor

What makes a Debit Card better than a Credit Card?  I use mine the same way.

Debit pays for purchase now.  Credit holds them till a certain date each month and pays them all at one time.   What is the difference???  

Honored Contributor

@Piperdellilahwrote:

I could live without it but it would be inconvenient for me. My bank has a $500 daily limit on my debit card and sometimes, on the weekends, i would go over that and with the bank being closed i cant call to get my limit raised. Also, my credit card gives cash back rewards which is nice, i just put it towards the balance. I pay off my credit card every week, its just easier for me.

you can get those raised generally. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

We make an effort to only use cash for everything including our cars.We do use ccs for online shopping. We do not have a debit card . You do not need a wad of cash when you travel. How about travelers checks? The thing about TCs is something I do not know because we do not travel. Some companies have ATMs that you can access almost anywhere.

We always pay our balance off each month(if we have one).

If we don't have it we don't spend it.

DH said yes your credit score is checked for car ins.,etc.

What safety is there in using CCs? Just curious.

The "safety" is generally protection when things go wrong.  If a CC is stolen, you are not liable (and not out the $$ like if your cash is stolen).  If a purchase transaction goes south and you can't get a satisfactory resolution from the seller, you can dispute the transaction with your CC company and not have to pay.  This has saved me several times when other companies' so-called "protections" did not protect me as the buyer.

Honored Contributor

@shoekittywrote:

In todays world you could not rent a car, hotel, plane ticket without one.  I am speaking off all credit cards, an atm, preload, amex, etc.

you can rent a car without a real authentic syle card.  You can use a debit, but you are charged 400-500 up front.  I imagine if you used cash the deposit would be sta((ering.  You can book a hotel with any card,but atm.  At time of departure you can pay cash.  We have done tha .  We have and use credit cards, 

atm, debit and preload cards are not credit cards. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@Zhillswrote:

What makes a Debit Card better than a Credit Card?  I use mine the same way.

Debit pays for purchase now.  Credit holds them till a certain date each month and pays them all at one time.   What is the difference???  

I think the main difference is that, with a debit card, you can't spend money you don't have at that point in time (after a certain point, if your account agreement includes overdraft protection).  With a credit card, you can.  It's certainly easy enough to adjust one's behavior, but some people prefer to remove the option entirely.

Honored Contributor

@jaxs momwrote:

@Peckywrote:

Absolutely not!  You need cc to rent a car, to book hotels.  I have two and when I use them i pay them off.

no you don't, you can use a debit card. 

@jaxs mom . But why would you use a debit card rather than a credit card when a cc is more cost effective?  You get points (and sometimes cash back )and don't pay interest if you pay the balance in full each month.

Is there some financial benefit to a debit card that I'm missing?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills

Huge difference.

A Debit Card is a direct link to your checking account.

Why would I make a purchase that has access to my accounts?

Never, never, ever would I do that.

I use my Debit Card, which has VISA affiliation, for teller transactions,

ATM deposits & ATM cash, only. Period.

I put a huge ‘virtual moat’ around my bank accounts.

A ‘security firewall’, so to speak.

No.one., especially a merchant, is putting a credit hold on my money. 

I’m calmly reminded by my BFF, not everyone can get a credit card,

hence the debit card/cash talk.  With that, I’m thankful I don’t have that

worry, but even if I didn’t have/couldn’t get a credit card,

I would use cash instead of a debit card.  

Too much room for error w/ the Debit card.