Honored Contributor

Re: Could You Pass A 1954 Home Economics Class?

I guess this was a smidge before my time.  

I can understand learning how to cook, but why learn to sew?  Didn't they sell clothing in stores in 1954?  LOL  Or was this because women didn't have jobs after they got married, and they needed something to fill their days?    Truly a different era!

Correction ...  after marriage, women who were nurses and teachers worked.   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I can understand learning how to cook, but why learn to sew?  Didn't they sell clothing in stores in 1954?  LOL  Or was this because women didn't have jobs after they got married, and they needed something to fill their days?    Truly a different era!

in 1954, we were still struggling to recover from WW2, and the lack of domestic goods was still fresh in our minds.  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I know in the 50's my parents were struggling to make ends meet. Then the kids started arriving. My Mom sewed at lot of our clothes as she could not afford store bought ones. She stayed home to take care of 4 kids.

Esteemed Contributor

I took cooking and sewing and they were my worst marks....I hated it then and now....I failed the test....

Honored Contributor

No surprise I flunked the test with only four correct answers.  Mom bucked her school district in the mid 50's refusing to take Home Ec so they let her take shop.  When I refused to take home ec. in the mid 70's she was very happy.  I just went off to band class for a couple of years.  Sad but decades later I can make a killer Thanksgiving meal but could not tell you where a single note is on a clarinet or how to march on a football field in a straight line.

Fun test and I did learn quite a few things.  None I would use in my day to day world now but as a housewife in the 80' and 90's I might have.  Thanks, @Pearlee  I enjoyed the test.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I must be around your mother's age!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee Miss her more every day since May 2013 three days after Mother's Day.  Graduation from high school for her was May 1960 and she had married on Dec. 23 during her Christmas break to my Dad so by the time she graduated I was along for the ride across the stage for the diploma.  She joked years later how I graduated twice from cross town "Rivals" and was even born 1 year and 1 day after her wedding day. 

I do not remember her ever doing anything that could have been "shop" related but the woman was all tom boy for sure!!Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@Pearlee Miss her more every day since May 2013 three days after Mother's Day.  Graduation from high school for her was May 1960 and she had married on Dec. 23 during her Christmas break to my Dad so by the time she graduated I was along for the ride across the stage for the diploma.  She joked years later how I graduated twice from cross town "Rivals" and was even born 1 year and 1 day after her wedding day. 

I do not remember her ever doing anything that could have been "shop" related but the woman was all tom boy for sure!!Heart

@beckyb1012  Thanks for the info. She was older than I am.  

Esteemed Contributor

I was a little girl in 1954......

Good Grief what a ( would be for me) horrible time for me!

I did though, disagree about the 'using the same spoon to test taste' for everything, exclusively for the reason I am a certified medical as a hospital staff member, through the nursing registry, working as a medical instructor, primarily in infectious diseases.

I thought this TEST was good for the mere fact that there was A FAMILY, not __ANYTHING__ to see the mother trying to be a worker BEE. 

My mother, along with all females in my family were professional women, and if anything domestic was done, was by hire.

I DO highly ENDORSE the family unit; I definitely had/have that and that will never change. A very solid and happy balanced family. Certainly had nothing to do with cleaning that sink after each use!

I viewed the test not being a democracy...what is that?  BUT! A parent definitely should be at home at all times, even if there has to be an alternative switching of employment , OR if I, it would be me---- a Stay At Home Mom....you will never get will get those moments back, NEVER.........

THINK before bringing children into this world if you can not TAKE quality care of those precious gifts. 

Either the grandparents end up being the parent(s) OR THERE is always those places called DAY-to EVENING care centers. Actually, working to have someone do 'your responsibilities'. YES!

OH, MUCH easier to go to work than take care of your children! 

1/2 and 1/2 for the 1954 worker bee. FAMILY..100%

NAES

Honored Contributor

I gave up after I got the first 6 questions wrong LOL but heck my mom isn't even old enough to have been the 1954 Home Ec class. So I doubt she could pass that test either. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval