Esteemed Contributor

Re: Could You Pass A 1954 Home Economics Class?

• I graduated in 1955. In junior high half of the year was cooking and the other sewing. I had to take sewing again--pajamas. I hated it. 
  • Don't know why the lines this-Any help?
  • Is the test on here? I don't remember it?
Honored Contributor

That was fun; said I would barely pass.   It also said "You own an iron and clean your place from time to time, but you don't care much for rules when it comes to domestic arts".   Absolutely spot on there!   

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee

Yes, it was.

@halfpint1

I graduated from junior high school in 1968 and it was the same for us. Half cooking and half sewing. I loved it!  In fact, had it still existed, I would have chosen to teach it!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:
  • I graduated in 1955. In junior high half of the year was cooking and the other sewing. I had to take sewing again--pajamas. I hated it. 

@halfpint1  You accidentally hit the "strike through" icon/button up top, to the right of the underline button up at the top when you reply to a post.  Hit reply to this post and you'll see what I mean.  It's the fourth one at the top from left to right, beginning with the bold button.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dup

Esteemed Contributor

I took Home Ec in 1954 and 1955 and we did not study that book nor did we live that way!

Whatever happened to putting the food in large bowls and putting it in the center of the table?  Called family style.

Nobody I know "entertained" like they describe.  Guess the South was just more laid back.  We did learn and use good manners!  And we actually learned how to cook and sew! 

Honored Contributor

I would have flunked Home Economics. I'd have told the teacher where to stuff that d#$n piece of bread and been booted out of class.  In reality, I never even had to sit detention.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This "test" was kinda fun, I scored 14 out of 19, not to bad as I achieved a "domestic goddess" status 😂  I did take home ec in high school freshman yr. I think.  My bestie and I were in the same class which made it lots of fun, otherwise it would of been a real snoozer.   I had a few lucky guesses with answers.

Esteemed Contributor

I took that test on Facebook 2 weeks? ago and I failed it. I forget exactly, but I think I had 6 right. When I was done I said to my husband, thank God its 2017 and we dont live like the 50s anymore! lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I could not read your post on here.  Really, it is way too small.  Don't know what you are typing on, but you really need to do something about the font size.