Honored Contributor

Re: Could You Pass A 1954 Home Economics Class?

I did the test and found out that I am a dirty slob who butters their whole slice of bread before eating it.lol

Honored Contributor

Well I flunked....from the very first question. Open the window?!!!  I need to use the bathroom first...and it just went downhill from there!  Too funny!

The year I was born.  I'm glad that those days are long past!

Respected Contributor

Well I flunked that lol!

@PearleeIt was fun! Thanks for posting it.

I loved Home ec

Only took a month to make spaghetti Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

That was fun, but I don't remember having a test like that.  Our family didn't live like that in the 50's.  We were much more relaxed.  Never washed an egg, but sometimes I would scrub the bathtub after giving the dog a bath Woman Wink We didn't have a shower.  I washed my hair every Saturday afternoon, put those metal rollers in it, slept on the rollers and hoped it was dry by Sunday morning and going to church.  It was cold in the winter running around with wet hair all day. 

Trusted Contributor

I passed but barely!!! That was really fun:-)
Trusted Contributor

I posted before finishing...

Anyway, I took home economics in 1984...what I remember was how to hem/sew button, learn to balance a checkbook, we had to carry a baby alive around for several weeks, learn to cook some basic stuff. I thought it was a good class, they should still have this course.
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Well I flunked....from the very first question. Open the window?!!!  I need to use the bathroom first...and it just went downhill from there!  Too funny!

The year I was born.  I'm glad that those days are long past!

@haddon9  LOL!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in high school in the late fifties and early sixties.

Home ec. was offered but I never took it.

The very idea of being a "housewife" was foreign to me, and not my cup of tea.

My parents were both working and  were equals in the house. I never experienced that type of environment. Thank Goodness!

I do want to add that manners and courtesy  were stressed. 

Valued Contributor

We had a thread not too long ago about home ec. I took it in 7-8th grade.  Had to make an apron-I was awful at sewing, but my wonderful seamstress mother helped me.  I never did take to sewing.  We cooked too, and I remember how fast we had to make something because it had to be cooked and cleaned up before the next bell rang!  The only other thing I remember is how to wax a floor. That seemed to be super important in our class. When have I ever waxed a floor?????????????? ha.ha.  It was an experience! I remember some guys taking it.  They were running around trying to finish cooking before the bell rang too!  

I think some of the things in home ec could be helpful to learn today for teens, but much of it would have to be overhauled.  I am thinking child care.

My aunt majored in home ec in college years and year ago..

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee - Thanks for the fun! I passed, but barely. The introductions threw me - their way seems so stilted. I like "Family, this is Kate. Kate - my family." I think she could figure out who my mom and dad were! LOL!

With kids today, you're lucky if they even acknowledge you when they come in with a friend! Smiley LOL

Oh - that wasn't the only question that threw me! Smiley Wink