Honored Contributor

Re: Could You Go Without Shopping For a Year? (Except for Necessities)

(thread title)

I can and I have and very easily. But! Is this more a gender thing?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

My closet is packed very tightly with a ton of gaments. I have no choice but to purge it of things I seldom wear or things that have become dated to make room for new.  Yes, I use cascading hangers when I can. Some of my cardigans that are dated but still in beautiful condition I wear indoors for warmth instead of putting on the heater which is another reason it would be absurd to purchase a barefoot dreams cardigan for $122 when you've been shopping for over 20 years which most here have. Yes, to each their own. 

Tucked away were two pair of boots that I purchased years ago from qvc but never wore because I needed an orthotic. I had purchased a vionic orthotic a long time ago but forgot about those boots.  Saw them yesterday and wore them and love them...they are so comfortable now with the vionic orthotic placed inside.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've long stopped shopping at stores.  The last time I've been to a mall was 2years ago.  I've never been inside a Walmart. even though it's less then 3 miles away.  The only stores I enter to shop is grocery store.   Anything I buy other then necessities (food) is online.  I still shop, but not at stores.  So I still shop plenty, but not inside a store.

Honored Contributor

I should, but I don't know if I could. I think that will be my New Years resolution.

Honored Contributor

I could.

I should.

But I probably won't. 

But I should.

Valued Contributor

I am going to try and stop my impulse buying, after the first of the year. I buy just to buy, and its gotten out of control. I hope I have the will power. Wish me luck. 

Respected Contributor

Not sure how I feel about this article.  It feels somewhat judgmental and preachy - we all have too much stuff, shouldn't be so greedy, etc.  And yet, she makes the point that she didn't stop shopping in order to give more to charity or to have more time (she says shopping is a time waster) to volunteer to help others, so I'm not sure what the moral is suppposed to be - except that shopping is somehow "bad" for us.

And she "made her own rules" about what she'd stop buying.  It was fine to buy whatever was in the grocery - including flowers.  Plane tickets and eating out were likewise fine.  And while she clearly ackcnowledges she could have used libraries she didn't stop buying books - because she writes - and sells books after all and certainly didn't want to encourage others to hurt her personal business interests (as she also freely acknowledges).  So again, the shopping ban apparently had little to do with "needs" versus "wants."  

So the halt of rampant consumerism seemed to be directed primarily against clothes and make-up.

It's just always interesting to me when people want to extol their virtuous living habits and tell the rest of us unwashed what we really "should" do - if we want to have the "good life."  Simplification is great - hey so is exercise and eating right and giving to charity and helping others etc. etc. etc.

I will definitely consider this as I make my New Year's Resolutions.

Trusted Contributor

This is an interesting topic.  I've paid my dues in helping people create and keep jobs, and oh have I paid a lot in sales taxes, so I feel I can bail a bit on the economy after all these decades.  I dumped Starbucks years ago when a large tea hit $2.50, and if I had my way, I'd rarely eat in a restaurant.  I'm tossing my VIB status with Sephora, and impulse purchases are going to have to bite the dust.  

On a recent mini vacation, I got a necklace that I can truly see myself wearing for the rest of my life (not my norm when purchasing jewelry), and a painting that touches my soul.  Good purchases there, but that whatever from Walgreen's not so much.  I also need to sell about 80% of what I own as I want to dramatically downsize.

Ironically, most of my favorite purchases were under $50--some even under $10--but it does all add up.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Not sure how I feel about this article.  It feels somewhat judgmental and preachy - we all have too much stuff, shouldn't be so greedy, etc.  And yet, she makes the point that she didn't stop shopping in order to give more to charity or to have more time (she says shopping is a time waster) to volunteer to help others, so I'm not sure what the moral is suppposed to be - except that shopping is somehow "bad" for us.

And she "made her own rules" about what she'd stop buying.  It was fine to buy whatever was in the grocery - including flowers.  Plane tickets and eating out were likewise fine.  And while she clearly ackcnowledges she could have used libraries she didn't stop buying books - because she writes - and sells books after all and certainly didn't want to encourage others to hurt her personal business interests (as she also freely acknowledges).  So again, the shopping ban apparently had little to do with "needs" versus "wants."  

So the halt of rampant consumerism seemed to be directed primarily against clothes and make-up.

It's just always interesting to me when people want to extol their virtuous living habits and tell the rest of us unwashed what we really "should" do - if we want to have the "good life."  Simplification is great - hey so is exercise and eating right and giving to charity and helping others etc. etc. etc.

I will definitely consider this as I make my New Year's Resolutions.

@Isobel Archer  She stopped because of her disappointment of the end of 2016.

I stopped reading after her billionaire remark.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I think for a lot of women shopping is not so much about what you buy as it is about getting out of the house and being around people.  It is a form of entertainment.