Respected Contributor

Re: Could You Go Without Shopping For a Year? (Except for Necessities)

Could give it a good try.  Was doing great this year, except for last week when Ann Taylor had the 60% off sale

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty much there now.

I buy very little, other than groceries & other necessities

Honored Contributor

No, I could not do it! I am being very honest! I have 3 grandkids that I love buying for, and I just like to buy new things for my home, my husband, for my daughters and for myself.......I don;t overshop or overbuy, but when I see something I want to buy if I have the money, I want to buy it........So that would be a No for me!  

Honored Contributor

No, I could not give up shopping for a year or even a month, for that matter.  What would be the point????   No one makes anyone shop, so those who don't want to shop, don't have to.  They don't have to make an event of it.  It's nothing to brag about. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've actually done this for about three months, if I recall correctly.  I wanted to pay off a credit card, so I went cold turkey.  Very interesting exercise, and I became very aware about my "impulse" buying.

I know a few women who use shopping as an escape  ....  from their relationships .... from their unhappy lives ....   Well, at least they don't "escape" into alcohol or drugs .....  I guess that's better.   I think.

Honored Contributor

As non-hoarders, we don’t have that big satisfying haul away experience that leaves our home with lots of open space.  

I started purging while recovering from my first knee surgery nearly 6 years ago.   I made great progress in the time I was off from work, and have never stopped purging, but work in cycles these days.  My brain is geared to get rid of stuff, but some things required a lot of thought before I was ready to let them go.   In the last month, over 100 lbs of stuff has been taken out of this house, and a special pickup is scheduled for Friday for two large items I can’t wait to get rid of.   

As the only one purging out of four people living in this house, it will never be as empty of stuff as I would like, but I continue to make progress which is very encouraging.   

Trusted Contributor

As I near retirement age and my husband and I recently moved/downsized—so purged a LOT of stuff ... I really feel as though I could do this now, and going forward. Other than birthday, Christmas, etc. gifts for especially our grandchildren. Have reached that saturation point of blessedly having all I need and most anything I could want materially speaking. Including unique gemstones which have always been my weakness. I can now look and learn more about their origins, without feeling the need to purchase them. Will have to decide what to do with my collection eventually. 

Interesting topic, OP! 👍

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I could.  In fact, I think I will.  It will be a nice challenge.  And potentially very rewarding.

Thanks for the idea, @handygal2.

But how is "necessities" defined?

eta...I will make an exception for books, in any form...including any by Ann Patchett, the author of the article.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

I am sure I could but I really have no desire to. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Yes, with no problem of withdrawal.  When I grew up, we only went shopping when we needed something. That was three times a year.  Before school started, Christmas time and at Easter time.  My mom knew exactly what she wanted to buy, and that is what we got. So, I was used to not shopping.

She never went shopping as a way to entertain herself.  I admit, that I used to go shopping with friends for something to do as a way to have fun and stop for lunch.

When I was younger.

But, I grew out of it.  Now, I hate shopping.  I very seldom go out to shop unless I need something.  Right now there is not a single thing that I need.  I am not even tempted.

I mostly shop on line now, but not often for non-essential items.  I purchased a few gifts for the grands and a travel bag for DH, but nothing for myself for months.

I did buy a family member with very little means some clothing two weeks ago. Her clothing was worn out and was looking pretty bad. I consider that essential.

I am looking for new Living room drapes on line, but nothing is ringing my bell.

I wish that I had saved my money instead of spending it on jewelry, handbags and other junk I wanted, but did not need over the years.  The joy it gave me was short lived.