Honored Contributor

Re: Could Really Use Some Opinions/Suggestions On A Bunch Of New Neighbors

On 8/11/2014 tansy said: There are many 55-plus communities that do not have shared walls. Life's short. At least look into other living situations.

I can't imagine living in 55 + communities. Unless it's like Sunset Daze.

Respected Contributor

O/p, I think you are thinking of an assisted living or skilled nursing facility...

I am talking about regular communities...apartments, houses, condos...that are just like any other neighborhood, except that they are adult only, and have restrictions. For example, no loud engines revving in the a.m., no cars parked helter skelter, etc.

They have these types of communities all over. Perhaps there are some in your region.

However, if you are unable to move, then I guess all you can do is put up with what is going on.

As others have said, maybe you can be friendly with the new neighbor. That may give you some comfort.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

If it were me, I'd either choose to live with it or move. I'd probably move.

Respected Contributor

On 8/11/2014 missyw1 said:
On 8/11/2014 tansy said: There are many 55-plus communities that do not have shared walls. Life's short. At least look into other living situations.

I can't imagine living in 55 + communities. Unless it's like Sunset Daze.

Oh, they are great. My mom lived in one when we first moved to this state. It was a development in a regular neighborhood. They were duplexes and stand alone homes. Beautiful landscaping, quiet, lots of walking trails, close to town. A regular neighborhood with very active people.

Just cleaner and quieter than others. No basketball hoops in the cul de sac, cars parked up and down the street, late night parties (well, they had parties, but not the beer and AC/DC kind!).

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

On 8/11/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

O/p, I think you should consider moving to an adult-only (55 and older) community. Sometimes these consist of homes, condos, even apartments.

Do you know of any in your area? Maybe you could research this.

Sometimes, it's just time to make a change.

An adult only community has exactly the same problems as a regular neighborhood. At least the one I live in does. Okay, no garbage cans sitting out, but plenty of barking dogs, loud people and cars and plenty of noise, especially on weekends. And when someone new moves in, you never know what you're going to get. I was yelled at and called a b***h the other day by a lady with Alzheimer's because I walked my dog past her house. I just ignore those types of things because it's not worth getting aggravated about. All in all, it's not really that bad.

Respected Contributor

On 8/11/2014 Issiestorm said:

O/p, I think you should consider moving to an adult-only (55 and older) community. Sometimes these consist of homes, condos, even apartments.

An adult only community has exactly the same problems as a regular neighborhood. At least the one I live in does. Okay, no garbage cans sitting out, but plenty of barking dogs, loud people and cars and plenty of noise, especially on weekends. And when someone new moves in, you never know what you're going to get. I was yelled at and called a b***h the other day by a lady with Alzheimer's because I walked my dog past her house. I just ignore those types of things because it's not worth getting aggravated about. All in all, it's not really that bad.

Well, maybe yours is like that, but I am familiar with several in my area, and they are not like that.

They do vary. I think it depends on how strong the HOA is, and that in turn reflects what the residents want.

Respected Contributor

On 8/11/2014 Issiestorm said:

Well, maybe yours is like that, but I am familiar with several in my area, and they are not like that.

They do vary. I think it depends on how strong the HOA is, and that in turn reflects what the residents want.

$$$$ buys peace & quiet. Not everyone has the resources to buy. Moving is costly and the poster has lived in this house for 30 years.

Luvmyteddy, the walls are closing in on you. Perhaps getting out and not being home all day, if that is possible may help. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

How homebound are you?

I have a neighbor who is in a wheelchair. He goes to therapy 3 times a week and also goes to church & a senior center.

He gets senior transportation provided by the city sometimes. Maybe you can get out that way too.

Respected Contributor

I knew I would have a bunch of new neighbors so I was holding off until they all moved in. I reported the garage cans out front this morning. They will receive a letter stating they are illegal to leave out front. They have a 2 car garage and only park one car inside.

I am going to report the illegal pipes now and hopefully he won't know who did it. I can't listen to them anymore.

We have curbs but they pull up on the grass anyway. By the time I reported it they would be gone. People have driveways but they are too lazy to move cars and will park next door instead. That throws everyone off. I literally have not been able to get out of my driveway on a few occasions. They have friends that park at the end of their driveway and I have no room to get out even if I wanted to.

I am hoping the new young girl is sweet and quiet and it seems like daddy will be taking care of her. Maybe a steady job and not a partier. I have been trying to see if I can have no parking signs but the city keeps connecting me with people that don't know. The cop said to put one out anyway. I may put it out on the weekends and take them down through the week so if I get reported there won't be a sign. They don't work weekends. My neighbors saw the sign this last weekend and no one parked there but I took it down last night. I also have a handicap parking sign only that I am checking into.

Honored Contributor

If you can't get out of your driveway, you can call the police & they will have the car towed.

Of course if you know the driver, it would be much better to just ring their doorbell. My neighbor has this problem all the time. I actually shoo cars away from parking in front of her driveway.

Maybe if you can get a friendship going with the single girl...you two can look out for each other.