Honored Contributor
UConn doctor charged with intentionally coughing on health workers  

FARMINGTON, Conn. (AP) — A University of Connecticut doctor has been accused of intentionally coughing on two other UConn Health workers and disregarding social distancing and other safety precautions aimed at preventing spread of the coronavirus.

UConn police issued a misdemeanor breach of peace summons on Thursday to Dr. Cory Edgar, school officials said.

Edgar is an assistant professor of orthopedic surgery and a practicing physician at the UConn Health campus in Farmington. UConn Health’s website says he also is an orthopedic sports team physician for UConn, Connecticut College and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

An email seeking comment was sent to Edgar on Friday.

“Witnesses say he intentionally coughed on two other medical employees at the health center in close proximity, and that the witnesses and medical workers believed he was purposely disregarding space and safety concerns involving the Coronavirus pandemic,” UConn officials said in a statement. “We take all such allegations seriously and the matter is currently under review.”

School officials will be deciding whether discipline is warranted, UConn Health spokeswoman Jennifer Walker said.

Edgar previously worked at Boston University and was a team physician for BU athletics, according to his biography on the UConn Health website. The bio says he is “considered a rising star in the sports medicine community".

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

I live in Connecticut - about 30 minutes from the UCONN Health Center. Its all over our news as well. This is a teaching hospital too. Not good press! It used to be a top hospital many years ago, but now the quality of care is lacking - they herd you in like animals and the wait for appointments is months! I just shook my head when I read this. Just another reason not to go there as a patient.

Honored Contributor

Assuming the charges are true, and even if this time they somehow are not, there's callousness and stupidity in every profession, every sex, every age group, and on and on.

I'd like to think that times as difficult as our current situation would change my thinking thsi, but my main solace is that we now have far more heroes than than idiots.  But still -- there are those.

Honored Contributor

I find this unlikely. I'm suspicious of the two reporters.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I find this unlikely. I'm suspicious of the two reporters.

Because he's a doctor?  There are so many wonderful doctors and other medical professionals. Especially those on the front lines right now.

But there are also doctors who are extremely arrogant and think they can do and say whatever they want. I dealt with it for years taking care of my mother. Some of it I reported, and I'm still shocked looking back on the insensitivity and inhumanity they displayed.

They get away with it because they're never called out on their behavior. They're not above reproach or gods.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 No, doctors in general don't impress me. I can't imagine why anyone would want to marry one. It just doesn't seem likely he would jeopardize his career in this way. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Coughing Doctor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain Doctors risk their careers all the time, because they're arrogant and think there won't be consequences. Because most often there aren't. All the way to the extreme of Dr. Larry Nassar. He abused countless girls and young women and got away with it because people just couldn't believe Dr. Larry could do such things.  Adults covered for him and protected him and lied for him. Parents trusted him. He used the title dr as a shield. 

Before anyone suggests it, in no way am I comparing this Dr in CT to "doctor" Nassar. But it all comes down to arrogance without consequences. That's what creates a mindset that you can do whatever you want.

Super Contributor

@occasionalrain  I am sorry to say that I do believe this could be true!

Many years ago, in my first nursing position, there was a physician who would make rounds with us and tell patients, "Turn and cough on the nurse!" 

There is good and not so good in every profession! Unfortunately.