Respected Contributor

Cougar release from foot trap

WOW WOW

Whatever they’re paid, it’s not enough!

These guys are Game and Fish,  don't know from where. 

Talk about having a tiger by the tail!  

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ct3n-yks5iw?rel=0

Honored Contributor

Re: Cougar release from foot trap

@CLEM - holy cow......my heroes!  I bet the guy that had him by the neck has done this before.  Poor mountain lion......I bet he would've chewed his paw off......btw I encountered a juvenile lion here in SoCal mid morning.....scared the pants off me....I was behind him; he looked back at me as I stopped.....we went our separate ways...they are beautiful...big paws.....big paws...

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for that video.  Amazing how kind they were.  Wonderful ending to the story too. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad that they helped the poor mountain lion.

It was so scared.

I just wonder why they didn't tranquilize it first?

Maybe they didn't have it with them (even in the vehicle) at the time???

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting that, @CLEM!  Here's the story:

Video shows large cougar being released from trap in Southern Utah

3/3/16  "(KUTV) How would you feel coming face to face with a large cougar thrashing all around? 

That happened recently to a southern Utah wildlife conservation officer, and he recorded the entire moment on camera.

Mark Ekins with the Division of Wildlife Resources said the cougar was reported caught in a trap in the Pine Valley Mountains in Washington County on December 17.

The trap was meant for bobcats and coyotes, Ekins said. Trappers are required to report within 48 hours anytime a cougar is accidentally trapped, he said.

The conservation officer responded to help the trapper free the cougar which was a full adult and thrashed violently as the two men approached it.

In the video shot and uploaded to YouTube, Ekins and the trapper are seen securing the cougar with devices known as "catch pulls."

"I think it's a lot more humane and a lot safer option than sedation," Ekins said of the method to control the animal. He said tranquilizers are often difficult to access, and they can result in the animal not waking up.

After a few false starts, the cougar was finally secured, and Ekins threw a blanket over it while he removed the animal's paw from the trap.

"He seemed perfectly fine," Ekins said, adding the animal did have a cut on the corner of its paw from the trap.

After the two men moved to a safe distance, the cougar realized it was free and took off running with the catch pull still around its neck. The cougar ended up ditching the device not far away.

Ekins said despite the size of the animal, he wasn't worried.

"I guess I respect them enough, and I've done it enough, that I kind of know my abilities and their abilities," he said."

source:  http://kutv.com/news/local/video-shows-large-cougar-being-released-from-trap-in-southern-utah

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova