Respected Contributor

Idiots and entitlement.....not a good combination.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

It is not about the money, it is more about "once a low life, always a low life".

Valued Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

The rich, they are different from you and me.

They got more money too.

Paraphrased from someone, I can't remember who.  Vernacular edited to avoid 'issues'.

Yep.

I call it "MIC":  Money Influence Connections.

If you've got that, you're practically guaranteed to always get a slap on the wrist.

Especially if you're Caucasian.

And male.

Greed is truly the root of all evil.

Greed.  Greedy for tood, for power, for attention, etc.  This has to do with irresponsibility and lack of social and ethical consciousness, lawlessness, and stupidity. 

Such a statement as to skin color is not something that the law guarantees.  If that were the case, then OJ Simpson should have gone to prison years ago. 

I know plenty who are rich and some wealthy, you would never know it and they do plenty of good for society with their money. In the case of that teen, no parenting and a bad judge is responsible.  Recall the judge, hold the parents responsible for the grave mistakes they made in raising that boy and hand out the legal consequences with prejudice.   

Why then, is it a fact, that black and brown people are incarcerated at rates 3x that of whites for the same crimes?  There is no statistical difference in the rates of crimes committed by race.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
New Contributor

It seems Ethan Couch thinks he deserves celebrity style justice without being a celebrity. A simple google search shows celebrities getting away with a slap on the wrist after a hit and run. People don't seem as outraged when celebrities do it though. One standard for celebrities and one for a rich family of unknowns.

And I am not in any way endorsing any of the Couch family's behavior. I think Ethan and his family should be held accountable but I just find it interesting how much hate is directed at this man while certain celebrities are forgiven and allowed to move on like nothing happened. My observation.

Valued Contributor

@Buttercat wrote:

It seems Ethan Couch thinks he deserves celebrity style justice without being a celebrity. A simple google search shows celebrities getting away with a slap on the wrist after a hit and run. People don't seem as outraged when celebrities do it though. One standard for celebrities and one for a rich family of unknowns.

And I am not in any way endorsing any of the Couch family's behavior. I think Ethan and his family should be held accountable but I just find it interesting how much hate is directed at this man while certain celebrities are forgiven and allowed to move on like nothing happened. My observation.

Which celebrities have been forgiven?

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

It is not about the money, it is more about "once a low life, always a low life".

Not always, cg.

Nurture is far more important than nature, and that's a proven fact.

"There, but for" is my motto - and everyone should always  keep the meaning in mind.

Honored Contributor

Re: Couch family backstory

[ Edited ]

@Buttercat wrote:

People, including the always-influential media, are much to blame for the current definition of "celebrity".

We've made "stars" out of everyday people who take part in "reality" shows of the past 10 years.

They have too much attention paid to them, as well as encouragement and fame.

And it's one of the things to blame for the disgusting increased self-importance of human beings.

A truly infortunate commentary on society.

But I do agree how  many'classic' celebrities have gotten just their wrists slapped, still do, and likely always will.

Esteemed Contributor

@Maudelynn Could it be that certain people are the ones commiting the most crimes?  I look at those in the news and the higher percentage seems to be the certain people. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Buttercat wrote:

There are MANY. Google it.

Honored Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Buttercat wrote:

There are MANY. Google it.

@Maudelynn

That always means she's got nothing.

I've got one...  Tom Selleck, water thief.