Honored Contributor

Re: Cotton slipcovered sofa/couch?

@sligo I have a few sets, some from a local shop, expensive, and others from Amazon. I suggest Amazon where you can read reviews and compare prices.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had custom made slipcovers, year ago ,and you couldn't even tell they weren't the original fabric. They are very expensive and fit like a glove

Mine could be removed and washed/ They were put back on damp. No one had any idea they were not the original  covering

But, you could buy new furniture for what they cost

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who remembers the clear plastic slipcovers (knew a lady who had white brocade French Provincial furniture in her "drawing room" and it was covered with custom made clear vinyl/plastic? covers - the white carpeting was covered with a pathway of clear plastic runners.  I had to walk through the "drawing room" to get to the bathroom.) I was always amazed, she said not a single person had ever sat on her sofa, as if that was a good thing.  Maybe it was. 

I love the idea of light covered denim or such covers for the summer months !

Respected Contributor

Hi Minkbunny, nice to see you! Hope all is well with you.

I stayed with a family for a summer while attending a class. They had those plastic covers on the furniture and on the lampshades. It was really strange. When you sat down you squeeked.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas, everyone! I’m still deciding.
Esteemed Contributor

While growing up we always had slipcovers on the furniture.  My mother, who could make anything, made the slipcovers, drapes, clothes, even coats.  The furniture covers fit like a glove and held up beautifully.  When I got married and bought our first house she made slipcovers for our furniture and the neighbors wanted to know where they could buy them, sorry they couldn't be bought.  I was always grateful for those covers, particularly when my first child was born.  My sister and I were very lucky to have a mother who could sew  and cook like a pro and a father who could build or fix anything as well as being the most wonderful mother and father two kids could have...sure miss them.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

We bought a custom high-end slipcovered soda about 14 years ago. Down-filled cushions, etc. separate covers for back pillows. All zippered. Love it. The slipcover is part of the look of the piece. I think Pottery Barn copied that design and may even still sell it, but I don't know personally about PB quality. We also paid a quality upholsterer to tailor a cotton ticking slipcover for a favorite sofa and have never had a problem. It was ttreated with Scotchgard and can be spot cleaned. Whatever you buy, only buy quality. When in doubt, keep looking. A good designer can help you find designs and quality that you won't see in furniture stores.

Honored Contributor

@Sue98If you are buying the slipcovered style, it can be cleaned by the chemical method which dries over night, much faster than companies like Stanley Steamer.  As you may have read, I taught Interior Design.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sue98If you are buying the slipcovered style, it can be cleaned by the chemical method which dries over night, much faster than companies like Stanley Steamer.  As you may have read, I taught Interior Design.Smiley Happy

Is there are company who comes in to do the cleaning or is there a product you can buy to do it yourself?