Honored Contributor

Costco's Most Disappointing Product of 2016

In a follow-up to the article l posted a few days ago, this article tells us that Costco's switchover from American Express to their branded Visa credit card did not go as smoothly as anticipated...

http://www.businessinsider.com/costcos-store-credit-card-disappointing-product-of-2016-2016-12

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Costco's Most Disappointing Product of 2016

You can use ANY Visa card at Costco.  I was happy with the switchover, since I do not and WILL NOT use an American Express card.

Honored Contributor

I was not happy about making the switch to Citi Bank but the cash back rewards are better.  I have not noticed shorter lines at the stores.

Respected Contributor

I'm always there about the time the doors open so traffic into the store isn't a mad crush, but it's steady. The parking lot has filled considerably when I leave. I've driven by in the late afternoon, looked at the parking lot, and reminded myself why I do my shopping first thing in the morning. 

I've never owned an AmEx card so being able to use my Visa, if necessary, is a plus for me. I didn't obtain a Citi Bank card, didn't want another Visa, but I'm glad VISA is now the choice. I had to have friends order something for me online because of the AmEx issue-not anymore.

Honored Contributor

Lol. 2 days ago, an article about Costco switching to Visa was claiming it was the BEST thing (financially and according to members) that Costco ever did.

Just shows how something can be viewed so differently and why one must be careful when listening/reading the news.

Respected Contributor

What's with all the Costco bashing lately?

They run their stores impeccably. Their branded products are excellent. Prices are fair. They treat their employees far better than the other big box stores-fair wages, benefits.

hmmm.  Do you suppose there is an element of jealousy from the Walmarts and Sam's Clubs and similar stores?

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

We got the new Visa card and have been using more than we ever used the Amex.   I am not sure the extra warranty that amex purchases gave the buyer is also a perk with this new Visa card though.  The extra cash back for the first year is the main reason for using it instead of our other MC and Visa cards.  After this period ends, we will see if we still use it or put it to bed.

Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

They run their stores impeccably. Their branded products are excellent. Prices are fair. They treat their employees far better than the other big box stores-fair wages, benefits.

hmmm.  Do you suppose there is an element of jealousy from the Walmarts and Sam's Clubs and similar stores?

Really do not see any bashing.  It was a business article that is stating that the switch from American Express to Visa cards may be a factor in the reduced foot traffic in the stores.  Your post sounds more like bashing of WalMart or Sam's Club than than the posted article.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Costco accepts ANY Visa card now. Doesn't have to be theirs. We use ours all the time and its a Chase Visa card. Love Costco. I now have to travel 200 miles to one nearest me but next year there will be one only 50 minutes away! Yippee!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

Really do not see any bashing.  It was a business article that is stating that the switch from American Express to Visa cards may be a factor in the reduced foot traffic in the stores.  Your post sounds more like bashing of WalMart or Sam's Club than than the posted article.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you've missed them, but there have been several threads quoting articles with a negative slant to Costco.

Take my comment about Walmart as you will.  It was an observation.

~Enough is enough~