Honored Contributor

Re: Costco opened up in my area...

We only have Sams, but I'd like to see a Costco.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been a BJ's member for over 20 years and joined Costco two years ago.  I only joined Big C because they were the only store that got a shipment of toilet paper during the initial lockdown. Smiley Very Happy

I'm not all that impressed.  They have good prices on some items I use often that BJ's does not carry, like [a certain brand of Greek yogurt that starts with an F but it's being censored], Kraft parmesan, Kerrygold stick butter and better sale prices on supplements.  

BUT I cannot take full advantage because it's just two of us.  You have to buy $100 worth of meat at a time, vegetables that would feed an entire family, etc.  The only produce we can consume before it rots is the apples and berries.  Same for eggs, milk and OJ - you need to purchase mass quantities.

Forget it for appliances and electronics - I stayed with local family businesses when I needed a refrigerator and laptop.  Costco only carries very high end models and I see absolutely no savings there.  

It is fun to walk around but I'm almost due to renew and asking myself do I really need to spend $60 a year for apples, yogurt, and blueberries?  BJ's is better stocked with cleaning products and I can get my gas, water and tires there, too.  

The Costco staff is exceptionally great, that's for sure.  I do applaud this store for taking good care of its employees.

Trusted Contributor

PS - Costco clothes are awful.  I buy lots of clothing at BJ's but Costco is just awful.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover  Our Costco sells gas, tires,etc. I guess it all depends on the store.

Trusted Contributor

@Kiakc wrote:

I also have Sam's and Costco memberships.  Sam’s is my favorite with free shipping, curbside pickup, and scan and go.  I also think they are cheaper on many items.  I still enjoy Costco and getting different items there.  Costco also has monthly sales books whereas Sam’s has sporadic sale books.

I really enjoy both for different reasons too-fun shopping at both and the whole family likes to go to both.

Trusted Contributor

While there are some items which I do like at Costco, overall I prefer Sams.  For normal weekly grocery shopping I do much better at Sams.  The quality of fresh produce has always been much better at Sams than it is at Costco.  The scan and go App blows away the checkout experience at Costco.  The 2 times I was at a Costco this year I was completely frustrated that I had to wait in line and unload everything out of my cart.  Such a waste of my time. 

I do agree that pricing is lower for the same items at Sams compared to Costo.  I do prefer the Clothing options at Costco and some of the home items such as towels and blankets over Sams.

Respected Contributor

We are new to Costco but decades with Sams.

The number one reason why I think we will keep both is the Optical and Hearing Aids at Costco.

I have some knowledge of how opticals operate and the optical prices, quality and frame selection is very good. 

I just got a Fendi frame for $199.00 and I know that this is probably a $600+ retail value. Also got a $99 frame for my at home glasses.  They sell Maui Jim sun on their web site. These prices are about 60% off retail. The MJ's are discontinued models.Their contact lens prices are just ok. 

Costco is the number one seller of hearing aids in US.

Respected Contributor

I also have both memberships but prefer Costco hands down.   

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't pay for 2 memberships any way any how. Wish Amarillo, Tx had a Costco they got great 'fine' jewelry.  We got 2 Sam's .

I had been to a Costco in Lubbock couple of yrs ago and their jewelry was really nice and good selection, but, rest of the place looked like it was just for men.

Esteemed Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

The Kirkland brand of Vanilla Ice cream is the best Ive tasted in years.  Its like ice cream use to taste.  They also have a delicious cheescake.  Very good.

I ordered Kirkland vanilla (premium) ice cream from Costco several times - thru Instacart - (2-in-a-pack).It's delicious.  When I go to Costco - I don't buy it because it will probably be defrosted between waiting at the checkout line and driving home.