Esteemed Contributor

Re: Costco opened up in my area...

I've been a Costco member since they were Price Club.  Five years ago I added A Sams membership, primarily because their gas stations were convenient on frequent, long trips ( I live 2 hrs from nearest Sams and three from Costco).  I still prefer Costco for in store shopping but we've bought a lot of canned veggies, laundry detergent, TP, paper towels and have them shipped at no cost ( usually here within three days).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@deeva wrote:

We started with Sam's back in the 90's, then dropped them and joined Costco.
Now we have both. I used to buy more at Costco, but this past year, I've been buying more at Sam's. 

Same for us.  But we spend a bit more at Costco on higher-end items.  Sam's Club is closer to our home so is convenient if we run out of something.

We belong to Sam's and Costco. I prefer Sam's. Sam's has a much better selection of food items. And they have quite a selection of fresh fruits and vegetables. 

Costco is closer to my house. But often find that there was an item or more that I was not able to buy at Costco. So I have to drive to Sam's. I keep thinking why didn't I just drive to Sam's in the first place. And Sam's is generally cheaper. And sometimes the amount is quite a difference. For example, one time I priced Welch's jelly, Sam's was $2.00 cheaper than Costco. Plus I can get smaller containers at Sam's. If I want cream cheese at Costco I have to buy one 3 pound tub. Sam's I can buy 2 tubs that are 16 oz. each. That is more manageable in our house.

PS - Sam's also has a feature on it's website. You can go online and select any store and find out if an item is in stock. 

I use that feature frequently. It is so helpful. My son likes Yoohoo drink. Since Covid, Sam's has ordered it but doesn't aways get it in stock. It is in the cans and I know for a time aluminum was difficult to get. It is also prepared in a Pepsi facility. I am guessing that it is a low priority item. You can find it in the small juice boxes but not cans. 

So I check to see if it is in stock. Sam's is the only place I have found it in cans and if it is in stock, I make a beeline to the store. It is funny, there are generally other people doing the same thing. Sam's doesn't even have to put the skid away. The product will

disappear quickly.

Trusted Contributor

Had a Sam's membership but didn't renew because I was so impressed with the higher quality of most Costco choices. Have been going to Costco since they opened here many years ago. They have self checkout if you prefer that. They have brands there we can't get elsewhere for the quality/quantity or price.

AREDS/Natrol Festiv/Premier Protein/Michelin Tires/Car rentals/prescription eyeglasses/ reading glasses/rotisserie chicken/coffee.

Respected Contributor

The Kirkland brand of Vanilla Ice cream is the best Ive tasted in years.  Its like ice cream use to taste.  They also have a delicious cheescake.  Very good.

Respected Contributor

My son is a big Costco fan and insisted we join. We have always shopped at Sam's. I think it is a matter of which store you feel more comfortable. We know the layout of Sam's and can get curbside delivery so we shop there more often.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a Costco and a Sams practically next to each other and 10 minutes from home and I prefer Costco. I joined Sams when they opened because they offered a half price membership but I only went once or twice and never renewed. I've never had a problem with Costco. Lots of my clothes come from Costco. I like their meats, paper products, vitamins etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Sam's I visited had nowhere near the choices of products or good bakery items, meat and produce.  Costco employees are treated well and it shows.  

Costco will refund your membership if you ask, OP.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The nice thing about Costco if you aren't happy with your membership they will refund your money in full anytime you are dissatisfied.........I love shopping there, but I also shop at Sam's ..........

Honored Contributor

Our Costco is less than 1.5 miles from home. I've gotten my glasses there and my hearing aids. Excellent service in both departments.

And delivery to my home is always free. I don't know if it's because I'm so close or what!

Honored Contributor

There used to be two Sam's Clubs in the area but they both closed long ago.  This is Costco country.  I hate to think the amount of money I have spent at Costco over the years.  Now that kids are gone and I live alone I go twice a month.  I still save money.  I recently bought new tires there.  I buy all paper products, cleaning products and laundry products there.  This morning I made chicken salad from their rotisserie chicken with apples, celery and pecans.  I started out in Cali with Price Club and when Costco bought Price Club moved on to Costco.