Esteemed Contributor

Re: Costco opened up in my area...

@depglass wrote:

20 years ago we lived where we had both stores.  Dropped Sams and stayed with Costco.  I've never let that membership lapse, I order online when I can't make the journey 125 miles.  Things like canned chicken and canned albacore tuna are worth it to me to stay with them.  

I always buy their Kirkland Albacore White Tuna and Kirkland Canned Salmon. Their bagels are also very good.

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Back when we lived in the big city we had memberships to both Sam's Club and Costco. We quickly cancelled our Sam's membership once we began comparing the two. Costco is soooo much better! We finally got our own Costco store a mere 60 miles away! Yay! Since we moved rural 6 years ago we always had to travel 3 hours away so now driving an hour is nothing! Love my Costco! Heart

I live around 5 miles from Costco. When I purchased my house brand new 20 years ago --- I asked the woman in the sales office if there was a Costco close by. She told me where it was - and I said, "OK - now I could buy the house." Where I lived previoiusly, I was also very close.

Esteemed Contributor

Love Costco.  Well stocked, efficient check out, second to none.  Helpful staff.  Only problem just the two of us and I have to be careful how much I buy at once.  Everything seems to come in  multiples

And their gas prices are the best around.  

I also  shop Sams  Club

Trusted Contributor

Another thing we like about Costco is their return policy. You can return anything, including online purchases, anytime, no receipt required, no questions asked, since they have your purchase verified in their system via your membership number. This is why I am more likely to buy electronics or small appliances there as opposed to the ridiculous 30 day return limit. I know if it stops working, I can take it back and get a new one or just get my money back. Amazing what you see people dragging back to the return desk...some of it looks several years old.

Downsize at Costco? No dressing rooms to try on clothing...and I really like their coats and jackets, so those are no problem trying on. 

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

Another thing we like about Costco is their return policy. You can return anything, including online purchases, anytime, no receipt required, no questions asked, since they have your purchase verified in their system via your membership number. This is why I am more likely to buy electronics or small appliances there as opposed to the ridiculous 30 day return limit. I know if it stops working, I can take it back and get a new one or just get my money back. Amazing what you see people dragging back to the return desk...some of it looks several years old.

Downsize at Costco? No dressing rooms to try on clothing...and I really like their coats and jackets, so those are no problem trying on. 

There always seems to be a long line of people returning things. Most days the line is all the way back to the entrance. I bet the customer service people have stories to tell.

I saw a man return a flat bed cart with at least 30 cases of Hellman's mayonnaise. I know that once any feed item leaves the store, when it is returned the product is thrown out. I often wondered if Costco threw out 30 cases of Hellman's mayonnaise.

One woman returned a large tray of cookies. Well, what was left, there were only a few cookies left. Someone must have liked them since most of the cookies were gone.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovescats 

You shouldn't judge Costco's variety and amount of product offerings in its stores  by looking only at their website, where products are limited to what is available for shipping or local delivery.

I believe nonmembers can shop there one time  to decide if they want to join.   Try it out--you might like it!

I've been a member of Costco since its Price Club origins.  We love it at our house--and spend enough money there that we get a nice rebate every year.  This rebate more than pays for our business and executive memberships.

We also belonged to BJ's back in the DC area and down here in Georgia for a short time, but  joined Sam's. 

Costco is usually reported to have the lowest gas prices on any given day (according to Gas Buddy website),  plus has a convenient and very useful tire sales and installation business.

Costco has superior meat and seafood (fresh and frozen), introduces interesting new food items occasionally, and has monthly markdowns on brand-name  food and pantry basics,  household products, etc.

Among the interesting food items that have "wowed" us are the Amy Lu refrigerated food items, such as Cajun sausage and Southwestern-seasoned chicken meatballs with cranberries and jalapeno peppers.  

We are big fans of their salmon,  crusted flounder and cod offerings, plus  salmon burger patties and  ready-to-eat shrimp with cocktail sauce.

Now that it's cold outside, I'm hoping Costco again offers its white meat chicken/white bean soup,  which last year was stocked in the refrigerated case next to the rotisserie chickens.

Respected Contributor

@bonnie f 

You can certainly check out Costco on a one-time shopping trip, to see if you want to join.

Someone needs to tell me whether this long-standing policy has ever changed and become more restrictive.

It's possible the nonmember might pay a nominal additional fee on the total bill, but worth it if you're really curious.