Respected Contributor

Re: Costco: Most Members Don't Shop There That Much

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

Purchasing for one, Costco has never been a huge go-to for me. Anything in bulk is pointless for me. But I have had cards for years and have one now. I would go there for electronics (and still might, depending), for blankets & comforters, batteries, occasional foods, books, Xmas decor and wrap, gifts.

Now I buy those things less (and Costco stocks many of them less) and I'm not often motivated to go, unless it's just out of boredom to see what's new. 

What I do buy now, and the savings is at least worth the membership fee, is vitamins/supplements, OTC medications and "drug store" items. Just one example is the CVS brand of Zyrtec is $17 for 30 pills, or sometimes buy one, get one half off, so $25 for 60 pills. I purchased a bottle of Costco's brand of Zyrtec for $12-$13 for 365 pills. A year's supply. And that's just one example.

I do find them less competitive in TVs, computers and other electronics in that the prices are often the same or only a few dollars less than you could buy elsewhere, along with no choice. Often one item, one make & model, that's it. For most things, I hate that. I want choice. But that's just the way Costco is.

. But that's just the way Costco is.

Their warranties add an additional year for their electronics which is a big plus.  

Honored Contributor

Our Costco is always busy, also.  The only thing I don't like is that they've cut back on the section for books.  The Amazon effect, maybe.

Honored Contributor

I thought it was just my store, they've also cut back a lot on books. Especially cookbooks. 

About 90% of what I buy there is food or paper products though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde I hear what you are saying about their electronics selection but what for me offsets that is that they double the manufacturers warranty plus you get unlimited tech support which really came in handy for me a few years ago with a laptop I bought from them.  I have called their tech line a few times and have never been disappointed or had to wait a long time to reach an agent.  I too wish they had a bit bigger selection but they are my go to for anything electronics.

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I thought it was just my store, they've also cut back a lot on books. Especially cookbooks. 

Books just don't sell that well since Amazon and ebooks.  

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Moonchilde I hear what you are saying about their electronics selection but what for me offsets that is that they double the manufacturers warranty plus you get unlimited tech support which really came in handy for me a few years ago with a laptop I bought from them.  I have called their tech line a few times and have never been disappointed or had to wait a long time to reach an agent.  I too wish they had a bit bigger selection but they are my go to for anything electronics.

@momtochloe I have no problem buying their speakers, CD players, cordless phones, printers, tablets, modems and other similar things, but with TVs and computers, I tend to want specific specs I'm looking for that Costco's choices don't provide. I certainly would take advantage of the extended warranties - it's definitely a perk.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Books just don't sell that well since Amazon and ebooks.  

The change in Costco books has been very recent within the last year or two, ebooks have been around for a long time as has Amazon ( 1994 and I've been customer since 2001) 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I've been shopping for just myself for 22 years. The membership just increased to $60/yr - which, to me, is totally worth it. Every month I receive their brochure with GREAT coupons and save at least $25 whenever I shop - more than pays for the $60 membership .Also, if u have a friend or relative, they can use ur 2nd card - and pay u half the fee. Not only are the sizes larger on many products -- but the quality is better. Shopping there is so much easier than shopping at a supermarket -- because the items only come in one size and only a few brand names --- so I'm not standing there trying to figure out what size is cheaper and better. 

I also shop often at costco dot com. A few weeks ago I ordered the 24" Samsung tv for $135. I just saw that the price was reduced to $110.--- and emailed Costco - and they credited me $25. Free shipping and a 2-year warranty.

They sell beautiful gold jewelry --- clothing --- big selection of chocolates -- a huge selection of wine and alcohol -- and I just received 2 packs of Cottenelle Toilet Paper, 45 rolls in a pack, for $17. each. A few months ago, I ordered their Pet Armor Flea and Tick - 6 in-a-pack - for small dogs - on sale for $25 - Reg. $30.

Can't beat those 3 lb. rotisserie chickens for $5. 

2-year warranties on all electronics and appliances - plus lower prices - great return policies ---- and I love shopping there. 

My Favorite Store!!!!!

Respected Contributor

LOL at all the "but my store is busy!" replies. As if both of those things can't be true at the same time...that most members don't shop much and that the stores can be busy. That just means the corporate planners have a formula that tells them how many stores they need per number of expected shoppers (as a percentage of purchased memberships). Imagine how much busier those stores would be if more members started shopping regularly! 

Honored Contributor

What it means is obvious.  Of course most members aren't frequent shoppers.  Most food is sold in bulk.  You don't run out of most products every few days.

What does happen often, at least in the Costcos we go to, is that shoppers buy a lot at once.  It lasts awhile.