Honored Contributor

Re: Costco: Most Members Don't Shop There That Much

What does credit have to do with it? No one is forced to use credit to shop at Costco. They accept cash and debit cards and always have. I don't think I've ever used an actual credit card at Costco. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I read years ago that the General Motors financing company (GMCC?) earned more profit from FINANCING the cars than the company did from selling the cars.  No surprise there, I guess.

What also is similar are gasoline credit cards.  People who drive a lot often have gas credit cards and don't always pay off the whole amount every month!   I find it mind boggling that those people not only pay the gas prices (which are too high IMO) but then also PAY INTEREST ON GASOLINE purchased in previous months!    Yikes!

@Tinkrbl44

I think that is true of all dealerships.  They love for you to finance the car!

I also believe that many people have Costco memberships that they do not use.  I am just not one of them!  I have heard that for years.  I hope they keep not using them because otherwise they would probably have to raise the prices.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  •  

Doesn't surprise me if most members do not shop there much, that was/is the purpose we joined. Buying in bulk numbers and sizes does save us money, however almost as important as the financial savings, we spend less time in stores because of buying bulk.

Not sure I am buying that they make 75% of their profit from memberships. Comparisons to gym memberships? I've lived the bulk of my adult life in and around physical fitness. I feel I know why most people join a gym, or other such facility, and then pretty much quit using them. Not the same as buying bulk and saving money.

Seems like too big of a generalization to me. With gym memberships most people don't join to save money. They join to help them meet a health or fitness goal. A big percentage quit going when they find out that gym, or no gym, reaching goals requires more physical and mental work than they are willing to put into it.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

We have an executive membership.

We go every other week or so.

Just went yesterday.

I bought a pair of jeans for under 20

got two pairs of sweat pants for son and mr henny

a fleece lined sweatshirt for son

All paper products

dubliner cheese.

cap steaks

roasted chicken

sketcher shoes for son, 

artichokes

the chicken pot pie is in our store

tortilla soup

Annnnnnddddd----mr henny went nuts when he saw a moose with christmas lights in his antlers. Here we are trying to downsize, and he had to have it.

Love costco.

When we get home re re package meats individually to freeze.  They have the  best rib eyes ever.

Honored Contributor

I know members who go weekly or more and I know some like me who go on a very random basis.  I haven't had my own membership for over a year now, but I've been driving a neighbor who does still have a membership and I piggyback on hers.  That works, but it also eliminates those last minute, random trips.  Also, Costco sells some items online not available in any stores and I used to use that fairly often, so I'll probably rejoin.  I  

That Costco depends on the membership fees for profit isn't new news though.  That's been in the financial press off and on for a long time.  Works the same way at Amazon -  they lose money shipping many of their small orders, but make money on memberships and their service offerings.  I'd assume the same is true at Sam's and BJ's and any other club membership-type offering.

Honored Contributor

It's just the two of us and I shop at Costco and Sams Club several times a month,   Both of the stores near me are crowded and I have to wait in line to be checked out 

Sometimes there is no available parking either.  I have to ride around and wait for someone to leave.

We do not go out to eat often and cook at home.  I don't find that buying bulk to be so bulky.  A bag of salad mix is good for two meals.  A bag of apples doesn't even last a week.  Bananas are sold by the bunch.  Meats like chicken are already sealed in small packages ready for the freezer.

Between the bargain grocery stores and the clubs, I save a lot on groceries, paper goods and gas.

Respected Contributor

I've had a membership for years and I live alone. I often split up large bulk items with a friend. Love the rotisserie chicken and some of the pre made salads. I can't  be without the Kirkland coffee. 

I go about once a month or 6 weeks. It's always crowded and my metro area has at least 7 Costco stores.

Honored Contributor

Executive member here. Without fail, we get back the fee and a few hundred more each year with that Costco refund check. I only buy specific items there as well as jewelry, eyeglasses, most of our organic items (fruit, vegis, diary and meat) plus things we use every day. It's definitely paying off for us. 

It's also ALWAYS packed. I've been there at 9:30 in the morning during the week and the lines were already long. Maybe it's where I live, I don't know, but they need MORE registers, MORE space and more people working there. 

Trusted Contributor

@Lali1

I have three refrigerators so I can't use that excuse!🤣

I've tried.

Trusted Contributor

@hennypenny

Aren't those cap steak delicious ?! DH and I share one, I can only eat a few bites they are so rich.