Trusted Contributor

Re: Costco: Most Members Don't Shop There That Much

Same here @jaxs mom.  I don't know if this is still their policy but if the rebate from the Exec level doesn't cover the $ spent on upgrading to Exec you can ask for the difference back.  Not that that has ever been a problem for me.

Respected Contributor

If I had room in my fridge or freezer I'd go. This is always my excuse. Maybe it's time for a trip. 

Honored Contributor

We're there about every other week.  Just picked up two chickens, tuna, fresh bread, bone broth and a holiday magazine.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@BirdieGal

i had to laugh when I read your comment. My brother calls it the $100.00 store. Basically if you walk in the door when you come out you have at least spent that much.

We are both Gold Star Members. He has a family so they spend a good amount there. I am single and  I probably only go into the store a handful of times throughout the year.

I will still keep my membership. I like the deals that I get when i visit the store, especially with Christmas coming up.

@icezeus: It's the $100 store for me too, lol. Every time l go there with the intention of buying only a few items, l can't leave without spending at least that amount, and usually more! 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

We must be the exception in my area.  I have 2 stores within 20 min and both are jammed everyday.  We're retired so we can go "off peak", but it doesn't matter.  Hard to park and tons of folks shopping.  Full baskets for the most part.  Luckily, Costco keeps lots of staff on hand so the checkout wait time isn't bad.

Respected Contributor

We have the Executive Membership and we have one pretty close by, but we don't go very often any more either.  Less than once a month.  The coffee is one thing that is so much cheaper that we used to always go there when we needed it, but I'm not saving any money when I walk out with ten other things I wasn't plannning on buying.  I'm sure not going to that mad house just for coffee when I need it.

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I have been members of Costco for over 30 years and Sam's for first e years.  We have never lived closer than two hours drive to either of these places but the memberships are well worth it.  We are 500 dollar club members and in addition to all listed above we are buying a wine refrigerator on our next visit.  I also shop at Costco.com.  I check my debates every year (they are always more than yearly membership).

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Husband and I shop there approximately every three weeks.  Buy a lot there.  My Costco has a very large organic vegetable section.  Their pharmacy and personal care items have expanded to include almost every brand made I believe. We love it.  The one we go to (and there are numerous in the DC, VA area) is ALWAYS crowded.  Besides paper towels, cheeses, meats, laundry supplies, personal care items, towels, sheets, some clothing items  - don't forget their Xmas wreaths.  They are very large, gorgeous and fantastically priced - special trip for us after Thanksgiving that weekend before they sell out.  Gasoline too - great price always.  

Edited to add:  We have an executive membership and the end of the year rebate pretty much covers the next year's membership fee.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I read years ago that the General Motors financing company (GMCC?) earned more profit from FINANCING the cars than the company did from selling the cars.  No surprise there, I guess.

What also is similar are gasoline credit cards.  People who drive a lot often have gas credit cards and don't always pay off the whole amount every month!   I find it mind boggling that those people not only pay the gas prices (which are too high IMO) but then also PAY INTEREST ON GASOLINE purchased in previous months!    Yikes!

Trusted Contributor

They recently built a Costco in our city and we already have Sams.  I've never had an interest in shopping at a store where you have to pay for a membership.  Maybe buying in bulk for a large family would be worth it; though, if the prices are really that much cheaper than somewhere like Walmart.