Honored Contributor

Re: Costco: Most Members Don't Shop There That Much

@momtochloe I'm like many of you.  I belong to Costco but never go there anymore.  There's just me so I shop at Harris Teeter.

i think many people have small families these days.  My daughter still shops there.  She has 4 children so she needs to go there at least once a week.

Valued Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

We've been Costco executive members for many, many years and still shop there quite regularly. The only reason we haven't shopped there as often as we like is we moved. But I'm sooooo happy that a brand new Costco is opening up nearby next month! No more 3 hour trips to a closet store. I've already gotten a list made up! Yippee!!

It sounds like you might be in the Traverse City area. I love costco and we've been members for years and really excited one is opening only 60 miles away instead of 180. My husband works away from home 6 months a year but we both still shop there even if one person. 

Esteemed Contributor

We don't live in a big city. We are more rural and we have a Costco, two Walmarts and Sams.  These stores are always busy.  I have an executive membership and believe me I buy and it pays off for me and my hubby... only two of us.. but we are grateful that they decided to serve our area.  We get money back because we really do buy quite a bit including gas for our two cars. 

Trusted Contributor

We've belonged to Costco for longer than I can remember.  Used to spend at least $200/trip.  And, got all of our prescriptions there.

However, over the last few years, that has dwindled down to maybe once every 4-8 weeks.  I transferred my prescriptions to CVS because the pharmacist at Costco was becoming extremely incompetent.

Over the years, they stopped carrying a lot of things we used to buy.  They only carry what they can coerce the cheapest price on from the manufacturer.  When I find something I like, I'd rather pay a little more than have them discontinue it.

The only thing we purchase anymore, on a regular basis is the whole wheat bread we use, because it's 2 loaves for less than the price of one in the grocery store. We stock up and put it in the freezer.  My husband also likes to get his tires there.  And, that's where I buy my laundry detergent.  And, for special occasions, their cakes and baked goods are fabulous.

We also usually find something interesting for the grandkids at Christmas time.

Their new Visa card gives great rebates on things like gas and restaurants, and general rebates on any purchases we make, whether or not they are at Costco.  This year, after we pay our Executive Membership fee, out of the rebates from the Visa card and the Costco Executive rebates, we will pocket several hundred dollars.  Much more than our highest rebate paying credit card.

That's about the only reason we keep the membership.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Valued Contributor

Love reading about other Costco fans. I'm definitely a Costco addict and believe life could only be better if I lived within, say, 20 miles of a Costco.  I am single and do not think of Costco as a place for bulk purchasing.  Don't the rest of you one or two person households eat?

I do not find Costco prices to necessarily be better than Walmart, like for paper towels or toilet paper. Other things too, I check Walmart and Costco prices, like steel shelving, Walmart is cheaper.  What I love at Costco is the quality of their food, and there the pricing beats all.   

Quality and price are great for my food staples:  salmon, chicken, tilapia, lemons, the coffee pods I use. I guess some things are bulk, but I like not running to the store every time I want canned tomatoes and chicken broth. I use those regularly so buying a small case is good.  I love the plastic wrap and parchment paper, much better than what I can get locally. I go through plenty of batteries and their pricing is great on those too.

Because I live 60 or so miles from Costco, I have a separate freezer. I shop to fill the freezer about every three months.

I always end up with something I hadn't planned, be it plants, a cart, garden hose, great cheap dog beds....there is always something I find that I love.