Respected Contributor

So I received 2 e-mails from American Express that someone tried to use my (closed account) AE card and it was declined.

So I called AE and the man told me all those Costco AE accounts were cancelled and then sold to another party and eventually sold to Citibank, in the process someone got their hands on those accounts and created duplicate cards to be used.

All the transactions were declined but AE told me that unfortunately I will continue to receive the fraud alerts but ignore them.

Honored Contributor

I never really gave a thought what happens with old charge card numbers, but selling them doesn't sound good.  Probably should freeze your credit.

Honored Contributor

That's suspicious sounding that AE sold the numbers to a company other than CitiBank.  I haven't experienced any issues fortunately.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

So I received 2 e-mails from American Express that someone tried to use my (closed account) AE card and it was declined.

So I called AE and the man told me all those Costco AE accounts were cancelled and then sold to another party and eventually sold to Citibank, in the process someone got their hands on those accounts and created duplicate cards to be used.

All the transactions were declined but AE told me that unfortunately I will continue to receive the fraud alerts but ignore them.

@Just Bling -- I can't find anything on your topic.  By any chance did you have any any scheduled payments connected to that card -- like a QVC easy-pay?

Esteemed Contributor

We had a seamless transfer from American Express to Citi.  I feel very lucky.  I have been hearing horror stories.

Honored Contributor

I did not have any problems with switch from AE to Citibank.  I have not heard anything negative from my friends.  The thing that amazes me is that Costco employees have told me people have come into store trying to still use their American Express card and saying no one every told them.  I got so such mail on this subject from American Express, Citibank and Costco I can't imagine that happening.  There is a big banner at the entrance into Costco asking if you have your VISA card.  

Trusted Contributor

I've been getting these...about 4 or 5 in the last month.  They are always $18 and by a company called SPIRITCLIPS.  

Interestingly the card they are trying to use is an AmEx that had to be closed by AmEx a few years ago due to a potentially fraudulent overseas charge.  

I miss my Costco AmEx.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

We had a seamless transfer from American Express to Citi.  I feel very lucky.  I have been hearing horror stories.

same here. No issues at all, thankfully. We even got our Citi card several weeks before the transition.

Respected Contributor

I received my Citi Costco card without incident, just wanted to share that my closed Costco AE card has someone trying to use it and AE tells me they have no way to turn off the fraud alert....

....sure they do, delete all that info from the system.

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@Just Bling, where I live Costco will only accept VISA cards or cash for purchases in store.  It is on their website.  They no longer take American Express.

*Call Tyrone*