Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cost of Epi pen goes up more than 400%

Friend who needs insulin with a pump.  Pricing is through the roof.  No generic.  And these items if you can call them that are lifesaving.  People who need and use these are in dangerous situations without them.  Greed, greed, greed.  So much for our government caring.  

Respected Contributor

And did you hear that medicine inside is only a couple of bucks?  I hope the government gets these people - I too am highly allergic to bees.  I'm carrying one from a couple of years ago when they were only $200 for two (I think I got a coupon from my pharmacist and paid only $100)  But still! 

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

And did you hear that medicine inside is only a couple of bucks?  I hope the government gets these people - I too am highly allergic to bees.  I'm carrying one from a couple of years ago when they were only $200 for two (I think I got a coupon from my pharmacist and paid only $100)  But still! 

Gets them for what?  This isn't the old Soviet Union.  This is the USA, the government doesnt set prices or control the pharmacy industry.  If I'm wrong, I certainly do something about the high price of that Mercedes I love but can't afford.  I'm sure it didn't cost $60,000 to manufacture.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Gets them for what?  This isn't the old Soviet Union.  This is the USA, the government doesnt set prices or control the pharmacy industry.  If I'm wrong, I certainly do something about the high price of that Mercedes I love but can't afford.  I'm sure it didn't cost $60,000 to manufacture.  

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Big Pharma is like the NRA. Policy is set by our lawmakers. It's a sad fact that they're beholden to campaign contributions.

Honored Contributor

Usually everyone wants all government out of everything. Posters say government has their hand in every little thing and they want it out.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Usually everyone wants all government out of everything. Posters say government has their hand in every little thing and they want it out.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Until it hits close to home. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Until it hits close to home. Smiley Wink

Yea, it's funny.  They hate big government....unless it benefits them or a loved one.  Then it's all okay.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

So, you think what Martin Shkrelli did was just fine? There's such a thing as price gouging, and in fact our government DOES regulate quite a few industries for safety, fair business practices, fraud, and price gouging. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

How many uses can you get from an Epi pen?  Is it one and done?

@ValuSkr yes, just a single dose in each EpiPen.  My doctor told me to always carry 2 because 1) one could malfunction/not work when needed or 2) he said sometimes a 2nd dose may be needed before I could get to the hospital.  I've only had to use it once, on the way to the hospital (my husband was driving me).

@Mj12

something you just paid near $600.00 for could 'malfunction' ??? That kind of expense and no quality control??!

@Andreatoo- malfunction is one reason for the 2 but the main reason is that many people are not helped by one but need a second injection. 

Honored Contributor

@FrostedC wrote:

There's a peptition to congress, that you can sign

We ask that there be an investigation and regulation into the 420% (adjusted for inflation!) increase in the price of Epipens since 2004

http://www.petition2congress.com/20720/stop-epipen-price-gouging/

@FrostedC

Thanks for the petition !!!    I signed it and forwarded it to a few friends!