Respected Contributor

Re: Cost of Epi pen goes up more than 400%

I was given a script for Restasis for dry eyes the other day. The cost was ridiculous.  I am waiting to see what my insurance will cover, but definitely will not pay the retail price. I'll just use regular drops more often.  I don't think I want to contribute to the pharms highway robbery.

I agree it is shameful and should be illegal to charge such incredibly high prices for something people must have to live. It's not your fault that you have allergies. Why should you be punished? Or your child? Only one suggestion . . VOTE!  For whoever you feel can change this!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

The cost of my blood thinner that I need to live on goes up every month I pick it up.  There's nothing I can do about it so why complain.  It's either live or die.  I choose to live and pay the piper.  I can't change the world. 

@BlingQueen022

Your apathy is inspirational....

She isn't being apathetic, she's being realistic.  The fact is that while people can blah blah blah and wring their hands over this; there isn't nothing we can do about pharmacy prices because the government does not and never will fix pharmacy prices.  People who need their medications can't stop taking them because they are expensive.  They just have to make the numbers work and get on with their lives. 

Respected Contributor

I gad to get a set of these for the first time this year. I was shocked at the cost. Without insurance they were $700 for a set of 2. With my insurance, they were $500. That is ridiculous. That is higher than my mortgage payment. Thankfully I have an HSA account (health savings account), so I had the money available.

Others who are not so fortunate have to risk dying because they cannot afford it or make a choice between food, heat or housing and medicine. Just terrible.
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

The cost of my blood thinner that I need to live on goes up every month I pick it up.  There's nothing I can do about it so why complain.  It's either live or die.  I choose to live and pay the piper.  I can't change the world. 

@BlingQueen022

@Andreatoo I so agree,  Our apathy to these disgusting drug prices has to stop and people need to get involved.  Please do your research when you vote this November but also contact your current elected representatives and let them know how you feel or how it is impacting you and your family.  This is disgraceful.  This is not the America I was raised in.

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@BlingQueen022

What blood thinner are you taking, if you want to reply. Been a few years since I was on Coumadin, but when I went to Warfarin, the generic, my cost per month was cut in half.

A friend of mine, who is presently on Coumadin and pays , $6.50 per month. That is less than I was paying a few years ago. I was paying $25 for a 90 day supply via mail order.

Sounds like a reasonable price for a potential life saving prescription to me. I quit after 7 years of taking blood thinners and way over 100+ blood transfusions. Have had 2 episodes of lung blood clots(PE). My doctors agreed with my choice because of my bleeding issues.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@BlingQueen022

It does do some good to complain.  That's how a lot of people got Pharma Bro to lower his outrageous price hike.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@BlingQueen022

She isn't being apathetic, she's being realistic.  The fact is that while people can blah blah blah and wring their hands over this; there isn't nothing we can do about pharmacy prices because the government does not and never will fix pharmacy prices.  People who need their medications can't stop taking them because they are expensive.  They just have to make the numbers work and get on with their lives. 

Sure we can, @chrystaltree

We already did when Martin Shkreli was forced to lower the price of Daraprim.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@BlingQueen022

What blood thinner are you taking, if you want to reply. Been a few years since I was on Coumadin, but when I went to Warfarin, the generic, my cost per month was cut in half.

A friend of mine, who is presently on Coumadin and pays , $6.50 per month. That is less than I was paying a few years ago. I was paying $25 for a 90 day supply via mail order.

Sounds like a reasonable price for a potential life saving prescription to me. I quit after 7 years of taking blood thinners and way over 100+ blood transfusions. Have had 2 episodes of lung blood clots(PE). My doctors agreed with my choice because of my bleeding issues.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut I don't take coumadin.  I'm on a new blood thinner drug called "Effient."  For 30 pills without health insurance it's close to 600 dollars.  With my Federal Blue Shield I'm paying 120.00.  Every time I go to get it renewed it's up about 20 more dollars to my copay.  I'm hoping my Cardiologist takes me off of this when I see him in January.  

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@BlingQueen022

@Andreatoo

My exact sentiments. Read my previous post and see how much the long proven anticoagulant on the market costs in comparison to the Epi-pen. I explain my experience of 7+ years on Coumadin/Warfarin, and it is cheaper now than I was paying in 2002-2009.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma@hckynut@BlingQueen022@Noel7

@momtochloe

I thought I might have seen epi-pen on the exclusion formulary list last week but thought that couldn't be true!

Will pharmaceutical companies help out with the cost?

You might try going to blinkhealth.com.

Last week I had me generic Nexium-type med filled 90 days for $20 (reg price was $198) They were offering $5.00 off for first time customers. HTH 

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~