Esteemed Contributor

Cost of Epi pen goes up more than 400%

And now another company has jacked up a prescription cost!! I am allergic to bees and tried to fill my prescrition for a new Epi pen.....$545!!!

If you have kids in school, you need one there AND at home. How are some families going to afford this LIFE SAVING pen?

I am so upset right now with the greed these companies have!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cost of Epi pen goes up more than 400%

[ Edited ]

That is a disgrace.   I am allergic also, but I have chosen not to refill my prescription , due to the cost.  I don't understand why the Government is letting this happen.   Synthroid has tripled in price over the last few years.  Something is not right.  These are medication that you can't  stop taking.

Don't your insurance pick any of that up?

Honored Contributor

What a shock!  My daughter also has to carry an EPI pen and I keep one in the house for her.

Something has to be done, people, especially children, will die because families won't be able to afford it.

Respected Contributor

This is the greed these companies get when there is only 1 manufacturer. Makes me ill to think that one person could die from not being able to afford this, so someone can fatten their wallet!!😡😔

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And add to that - many who have these have more than 1 (I keep 3 on hand - 1 set in my handbag, 1 set in my husband's truck and 1 set at home).  Thank God we have good insurance.  But for those that don't, it is just appalling that the company decided to do this.  It is unconscionable.

Honored Contributor

Something has to be done, the cost of healthcare in general has gotten way out of hand.  Support elected representatives that will do something to help.

Honored Contributor

pharmaceutical companies disgust me. The more you need it the higher the price.

My cousin, thank goodness, was in the trials for the new hep C cure. EVERYONE in the control group was cured! Hallelujah!

Now the pills are on the market for......

$20,000.00 PER PILL!

Regular Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

And now another company has jacked up a prescription cost!! I am allergic to bees and tried to fill my prescrition for a new Epi pen.....$545!!!

If you have kids in school, you need one there AND at home. How are some families going to afford this LIFE SAVING pen?

I am so upset right now with the greed these companies have!!

I'm so sorry yours has gone up so much. I need an epi-pen as well but my insurance covers it. I keep one at home and one in my handbag.

I'm allergic to bee stings and tomato skin. I haven't been stung in a while so its possible I have outgrown that one however I am VERY allergic to the tomato skin which is why I always have one with me because so much has tomato in it when you go out to eat. I can handle the tomato interior, just not the skin and not everyone uses skinned tomatoes in their products so sometimes i see a chunk of tomato with skin still on it. It's definitely something I am always on top of but if I didn't have my epi-pen I would never go out.

I also take Synthroid but I haven't seen an increase in that either. Now my blood pressure pills sure have gone up. Even though insurance covers most of it I have some to pay on that one which up until about 2 months ago I never had to pay anything towards. I'm now paying about $30/month for those where before it was 100% covered.

SO MANY people are on meds for something that because of these rising costs, we may be seeing an uptick in the stats of folks dying because they can't afford the meds. It's disgusting.

Honored Contributor

There are articles saying, "you know you're BAD when Pharma Bro calls you out!!"   True. If anything can be said, at least Martin Shkreli was very upfront with his increase.  Funny how EpiPen is doing the exact same thing....without a bleep on the radar screen.  

--------

Even Martin Shkreli, the disgraced former chief executive of Turing Pharmaceuticals LLC, has weighed in.

"These guys are really vultures. What drives this company's moral compass?" he told NBC News in a phone interview.

In 2015, Shkreli famously jacked up the price of Turing's malaria and HIV medicine Darapim overnight, from $13.50 to $750, a move that earned him a grilling by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform in February — and the nickname "Pharma Bro" for his seemingly carefree attitude toward affordable medication.

But Shkreli told NBC News he had originally considered gradually raising the price of Darapim, as Mylan did with the EpiPen. Ultimately, "the math, we felt, was a little silly; so we decided to come out and say 'This is our desired price.'"

Respected Contributor

I saw this on the news the other day and it has me worried. My 2 year old granddaughter has peanut allergies so my daughter has to have an Epipen. If the price has gone up to almost $600 now what will its price be in another few years!