Honored Contributor

Of course you should call the hotline ASAP. They can help you sort out whether you are at risk for this particular virus.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure I am allowed to post this, but I received this in my email this morning as a guideline: You can choose to accept it or not. 

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

Honored Contributor

@Travone 

Yes it is confusing, and what I can make sense out of is that it's her way or it's the wrong way. Concern about the virus? Yes, but?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Lots of people are sick this time of year.  Colds, flu etc why the panic.  If you fell sick stay home or go to the doctor.  Your answer will not be found on a shopping channel message board.

@CrazyDaisy, you should call your doctor before going into a medical facility.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

OP You are letting yourself go into panic mode. Don't. You have a cold. They are insanely blowing this all out of proportion! I refuse to be their puppet. 

@ID2 

Well said, and me too!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

You are not the only one!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Westshopper wrote:

I just found out something and I don't know what to do, I'm also extremely pieved to but it midly.  Well one of my co- workers (I was out of work yesterday with cold symptons working today) anyway YESTERDAY she comes out with my FIL which she and her husband live in the same house was in the nursing home here in Kirkland a week prior to the new breaking of the viruse spreading, she herself or her husband have had no signs of illness the FIL has been sick twice sense I don't know what kind of sickness, an is back in the nursing home (same one) again now. I'm just so livid that she just NOW lets us know all this. I don't know if I should get tested or what guess  I'll call the hotline I am at work today. Experenicng cold symptons no high fever, mild cough, sniffles and some chills, fell well enough to work, but a bit worried now. To boot the co-worker is having a hernea sugrey today  I would assume they would test her for the virus. She would I think have to come clean to the fact she's shared a home with a sick FIL who was in the nursing home. 

@WestshopperI'm not sure why your co-worker was supposed to tell you about her FIL. People get sick.  You, yourself, are sick.

Had the FIL tested positive for the coronavirus it would have been handled by the local health department already.

You decided in a state of panic that this must be the coronavirus without any proof.

So:

The FIL was in a nursing home.

Then he was living with the co-worker and her husband.

Then the FIL was back in the nursing home because he has been ill twice.

You stayed home yesterday with a cold, came back to work, found out about the co-worker and her FIL and now you are equating yourself with the coronavirus.

This is the type of overreaction that leads to misinformation and finger pointing at unsubstantiated infections.

Since your place of employment doesn't seem to be alerting everyone, I'm not sure why you are taking it upon yourself to assume the worst about her.

Call your doctor and whatever hotline is set up in your area.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

There are several viruses going around that are not Covid-19.

But if you are concerned, please call your doctor and explain your concerns.

Respected Contributor

Re: Coronavirus and me

[ Edited ]

her coworkers FIL was in a nursing home where people died from the virus and the FIL was sick twice and back to the nursing home once  and now lives with the coworker  and her husband

And now the coworker is going to have surgery for a hernia but is she going to be asked if she was exposed to the virus or let them know?

And the OP has a mild cough and chills but no high fever  so she will call the hotline

I'd be mad too

Super Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

No her co-worker and husband are fine.  Apparently they were in contact with someone who may have come in contact with the virus. 

Since she mentions Kirkland in the OP I'm thinking the panic is because the epicenter of the virus cases in WA state is at a Kirkland WA nursing home - which already has 16 deaths from it. Maybe it's the same nursing home and that's why she's scared?

Googling it I found these tidbits:

"Some Life Care Center residents have gone from no symptoms to acute symptoms within an hour, Killian said.

"We've had patients die relatively quickly under those circumstances," he said.

Killian told reporters during a Saturday briefing that 70 employees are showing coronavirus symptoms. Those employees have been asked not to return to work".