Honored Contributor

Re: Corona virus vaccine and the vaccine for seniors.....

@Sooner wrote:

Have there been trust worthy articles about why this flu vaccine would be different from a normal flu vaccine as far as being dangerous?  Many of us take flu vaccine every year and don't die from the vaccine in large numbers apparently. 

@Sooner , the point is that it takes years, sometimes decades, for vaccines to be developed, tested and approved for public use.  They started to develop the first flu vaccine back in the 1930s and the first vaccine wasn't approved for public use until 1945.  2 years later they realized that vaccine was useless because of various types of the flu. 

I believe it took 10 years to develop, test and approve the first HIV vaccine. 

Now we are expected to take a vaccine they are fast tracking and trying to get out in under a year? 

Personally I'd feel better if they found treatments.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Have there been trust worthy articles about why this flu vaccine would be different from a normal flu vaccine as far as being dangerous?  Many of us take flu vaccine every year and don't die from the vaccine in large numbers apparently. 

@Sooner , the point is that it takes years, sometimes decades, for vaccines to be developed, tested and approved for public use.  They started to develop the first flu vaccine back in the 1930s and the first vaccine wasn't approved for public use until 1945.  2 years later they realized that vaccine was useless because of various types of the flu. 

Now we are expected to take a vaccine they are fast tracking and trying to get out in under a year? 

We have quantum computing now. Everything can be done much faster than back in the 60s and 70s when some of those vaccines were laboriously developed. Vaccine candidates can be ruled in or out with blazing speed. We can sequence DNA now. Everything is much different than in the past. We are so blessed in that respect. There are some positives to living in 2020.

And the COVID-19 vaccine is not a flu vaccine. It's for a different virus. We shouldn't get the two topics mixed up. Our flu vaccines are already well developed and tested for safety.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

We have quantum computing now. Everything can be done much faster than back in the 60s and 70s when some of those vaccines were laboriously developed. Vaccine candidates can be ruled in or out with blazing speed. We can sequence DNA now. Everything is much different than in the past. We are so blessed in that respect. There are some positives to living in 2020.

And the COVID-19 vaccine is not a flu vaccine. It's for a different virus. We shouldn't get the two topics mixed up. Our flu vaccines are already well developed and tested for safety.

@Porcelain, thanks for pointing that out. I was going to do so if no one else had.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Porcelain , yes I realize we aren't in the 60's and 70's but there are still protocols that need to be followed before vaccines are put out to the masses.  This was discussed early on when people were clamoring about a vaccine by the end of the year and the experts were saying that would be nearly impossible because of everything that has to be done.

There is no way they are going to convince me that a vaccine they pump out in less than a year has been adequately tested for safety.