Respected Contributor

Re: Corona virus vaccine and the vaccine for seniors.....

• Covid vaccine only needs to be 50 percent effective to be approved (meaning out of two people, one could still get Covid).
  • The vaccine will probably be a 2-shot type.  Unless you are in a high-risk group (e.g., nurse, teacher, elderly) the year 2024 could be when avail. for all due to amounts needed.

(info from CNN last week)

Honored Contributor

At the age of 70 I have yet to get a regular flu vaccine so I will not be first in line for a virus vaccine.  IMO it takes years to develop and prove the effectiveness and safety of a vaccine so it will be quite awhile.

Honored Contributor

There is no way in this world that I would willingly take a pushed through vaccine this year as somebody's guinea pig.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

The world has had vaccines in general for quite some time now and without it would have had populations devastated yearly by flu.  

Whole populations would have been wiped and millions upon millions of people would be crippled and have lived in iron lungs because of polio.

Without plant breeding and herbicides and pesticides, starvation would have wiped out large areas of the world and people would have died in droves.  

So let's stop and think for a moment that the world is not a perfect place, no matter what we do some will die, but while you villify these things now, think back to where we would be without them.  Progress comes at a price, and who among us will judge that price or progress?

Want all those crippled kids without a vaccine?  Would you have wanted it for your child or yourself?

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I had a similar discussion with some friends the other day.  Most are ready to get the vaccine when it comes out.  Even a few younger people I know want the vaccine.  

We actually got to talking about the polio vaccine back in the 1950's and 1960's and we remarked that although we were quite young at the time, we never heard of people not taking it. Today everything seems to be so controversial and groups of people have become anti-vaccine.  When you think of the diseases we've eradicated because of vaccines, you know the end result is better than what could happen if those diseases went unchecked.  So, yeah, I'll take the vaccine.

Maybe you are too young to remember or never read into the history of the polio vaccine.  The early versions did more harm than good.

The Cutter Lab polio vaccine was tainted. 120,000 children received that vaccine and of them, 40,000 got " abortive polio" that gave them a high fever with vomiting and muscle pain.  Fifty one children were paralyzed and five died.

I know I am not going to be ahead of the line.  No one raised me to be a lab rat.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I just saw a Doctor on CNN say something I had not thought of.  The trials attract mostly healthy younger people.  Not too many seniors sign up for them for obvious reasons.  So when the vaccine comes out how safe will it be for seniors.  I guess if enough seniors take the vaccine and live to tell about it we will know if it is safe.   

You make a very good point. I have wondered how safe it would be for those all of us in general. Its not like there will be any long term studies on it. 

Esteemed Contributor

As a senior I am willing to take a chance.  I want to get the vaccine as soon as it is offered to me.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Concerned about compromised immune system, I went ahead to get Shingles vaccine.  I figured I would be safer to not have to fight this condition and since I had chicken pox very young I would be more likely to get.  

a couple of my Senior friends are in Corona trials.  I am a bit too apprehensive.

Honored Contributor

Have there been trust worthy articles about why this flu vaccine would be different from a normal flu vaccine as far as being dangerous?  Many of us take flu vaccine every year and don't die from the vaccine in large numbers apparently. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

As a senior I am willing to take a chance.  I want to get the vaccine as soon as it is offered to me.  

Thank you for being willing to go first. I appreciate your bravery. I'll be in that line, but not near the front like you!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr