Respected Contributor

Corona virus vaccine and the vaccine for seniors.....

I just saw a Doctor on CNN say something I had not thought of.  The trials attract mostly healthy younger people.  Not too many seniors sign up for them for obvious reasons.  So when the vaccine comes out how safe will it be for seniors.  I guess if enough seniors take the vaccine and live to tell about it we will know if it is safe.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Corona virus vaccine and the vaccine for seniors.....

.@chiclet safe and effective.   Did the senior flu vaccine come about because the original one wasn’t safe for us or wasn’t effective enough?

Frequent Contributor

As a senior with diabetes , I will take the vaccine.  The alternative could be worst, weeks on a ventilator and possible death.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mi47, I just wanted to let you know that everyone who contracts Covid-19 has the option and the right to refuse a ventilator, and instead opt to receive high pressure oxygen from a nasal cannula, a CPAP machine, or Bi-PAP machine, all three of which bring about much better recovery outcomes. Ventilators were found to actually hasten the death of many Covid-19 patients as the settings on the ventilators were placed too high, and the lungs of Covid-19 patients were harmed by the invasive ventilator device itself. 

**edited to remove link**

Esteemed Contributor

As a senior with diabetes and high blood pressure, I plan to get a Covid-19 vaccine when it's available.  However, I won't be the first in line.  I think I'll wait and keep informed.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I just saw a Doctor on CNN say something I had not thought of.  The trials attract mostly healthy younger people.  Not too many seniors sign up for them for obvious reasons.  So when the vaccine comes out how safe will it be for seniors.  I guess if enough seniors take the vaccine and live to tell about it we will know if it is safe.   

@chiclet,  another aspect that is troublesome is the lack of diversity in the volunteers.  Not enough of the most affected groups, particularly Blacks and Latins, are volunteering.

As to seniors I am concerned about reports that the first round of vaccine will most likely go to those on the front line and seniors in care facilities.

I would hope when the time comes to administer a vaccine to the general public all the risk/benefit questions will have been answered.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

.@chiclet safe and effective.   Did the senior flu vaccine come about because the original one wasn’t safe for us or wasn’t effective enough?

@millieshops,  it was determined that due to natural aging changes to the senior immune systems a higher dose is needed to offer maximum protection.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

I had a similar discussion with some friends the other day.  Most are ready to get the vaccine when it comes out.  Even a few younger people I know want the vaccine.  

We actually got to talking about the polio vaccine back in the 1950's and 1960's and we remarked that although we were quite young at the time, we never heard of people not taking it. Today everything seems to be so controversial and groups of people have become anti-vaccine.  When you think of the diseases we've eradicated because of vaccines, you know the end result is better than what could happen if those diseases went unchecked.  So, yeah, I'll take the vaccine.

Honored Contributor

I know I will not be getting it when it first comes out.  

Honored Contributor

The polio vaccine took a long time to come up with so it was tested properly and not rushed out just to have a "vaccine".  I sure won't be one of the first to get it and will wait at least a year to see any harmful effects.  It does seem treatments are changing so less deaths (though still too many).  
I remember the Swine flu vaccine and all the negative lifetime effects it had on many that I know.