Respected Contributor

Re: Corona... overkill... does anyone

[ Edited ]

I am really saddened by the weaponization of this to crash the economy.  The Washington Post is absolutely hysterical this morning - trying to create a panic that our government is incompetent and failing us.

I suspect that crisis fatigue will eventually win out.  People will realize that no one they remotely know has the virus - or if they do, they get over it. 

It's so interesting that at this point - H1N1 was much worse and there was no panic.  We didn't get daily hysteria over every new case and certainly weren't told daily how many had died.  According to the CDC:

April 21
CDC publicly reported the first two U.S. infections with the new H1N1 virus.

June 11
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared a pandemic and raised the worldwide pandemic alert level to phase 6, which means the virus was spreading to other parts of the world.
CDC held its first press conference with former CDC Director Thomas Frieden, MD, MPH. The press conference had 2,355 participants.

"June 25 CDC estimated at least 1 million cases of 2009 H1N1 influenza had occurred in the United States." 

September 1
More than 1,000 test kits shipped to 120 domestic and 250 international laboratories in 140 countries since May 1, 2009.

So while people are insisting that coronavirus is spreading faster than any other such virus, that doesn't appear to be true - at least in the U.S.

We currently have 755 cases (as of reporting 3 hours ago) in the U.S. - as opposed to over 1 million H1N1 is about the same time period (2 months into the infection).  That hardly appears that our government is imcompetent and causing the pandemic as the press is feverishly (pun intended) insisting.

Very sad commentary on our current state of divisiveness.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel ArcherI believe that intelligent people of either 'persuasion' will weigh the facts for themselves and determine the severity of the viral effect on the economy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How many times can everyone say....

COVID-19 is not like the Flu

Why is this so hard to understand?

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Isobel ArcherI believe that intelligent people of either 'persuasion' will weigh the facts for themselves and determine the severity of the viral effect on the economy.

I would love to agree with you, but reading the paper this morning with all its dire predictions and blaming the government and suggesting that we are not only not being protected, but are being actively unnecessarily exposed to death - is very discouraging.

QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

Overkill ?  In my opinion if one American dies it is too many and what is happening in Italy terrifies me.  Many of us have compromised immune systems or are on oxygen, so the threat is very real and scary.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Repeating the flu comparison does make one look very ignorant.

Maybe something like 2 weeks ago, there was some confusion 

but today, with the amount of ACCURATE information being

disseminated, there really is no excuse for lack of knowledge.

And then keep repeating it...just....no. 

And if researching my old posts last month/January,

even *I* was comparing it to the flu...

but I have learned COVID-19 is not like the flu.

Honored Contributor

I  saw this morning on the news 63,000 people recovered the Corona virus.  It was quick and nothing much was said about it.  I think that is great positive new so why doesn't the media cover that?  It's all bad news they are telling people.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pecky wrote:

I  saw this morning on the news 63,000 people recovered the Corona virus.  It was quick and nothing much was said about it.  I think that is great positive new so why doesn't the media cover that?  It's all bad news they are telling people.  

The 63,000 was in China, yes?

And their way of containment & handling this was much, much

different than the rest of the world, let alone the US.

Yes, that's great China is slowly leveling off but it took

alot of action....and lives....to get to that point. 

We are not even close to that leveling off here in the US.

#COVID-19IsNotLikeTheFlu

#WashYourHands